#1 Mariano Costa

Mariano Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Dear all.

I was wondering - if I`m not mistaken then the Titan Arm weighs less with just two canisters than an Atlas with two. But did anyone with experience with both arms felt a significant difference in performance with the Titan in this configuration? 

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

I believe the 4 canister arm is in fact lighter than the 2 canister arm. I've down both a lot, and can barely tell a difference between the two. The 4 canister arm is definitely a larger profile, which can become cumbersome over time, even though it weighs less.

#3 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yes, Titan with 2 canisters is lighter than Atlas with 2 canisters. Pro only sells Gray canisters with the Atlas arm, so you'd have to figure out another way to get them for a Titan, the lift capacity with just 2 blacks won't cut it. The profile of a Titan may be a bit larger, but the footprint is theoretically a bit smaller, because it's a shorter arm. Atlas has a bit more boom range because of this.

Both fantastic arms.

#4 Mariano Costa

Mariano Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

The profile of a Titan may be a bit larger, but the footprint is theoretically a bit smaller, because it's a shorter arm. Atlas has a bit more boom range because of this.

Both fantastic arms.

Now that solves the mystery regarding the difference in weight, thanks!

Now about the performance, would anyone actually recommend working with the titan in a two canister configuration or are there any drawbacks like an undesirable force curve or so?

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

The solid bones on the atlas I thought weighed a few ounces more so the difference is the chassis...but we are not talking about a noticeable weight.

#6 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Ron is correct.  I own both arms and prefer the Atlas when using two springs because it just seems smaller.  

Teradek

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX