7 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Marshall

Matthew Marshall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Wausau, WI

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Basically thoughts and possible difficulties of this? Cinemilled offers an adapter which forgoes the need for a sled, just DJI Ronin with its stabilization straight to the armpost adapter.

Pictures and video from the Cinemilled Site.

IMG_5387.jpg

It seems to have lowmode ability as well. Looks like a good idea to me.

For the more advanced operators. Would this work with a cheaper vest and armpost setup something offbrand. Any manufacturing deficiencies or precision due to not being Tiffen Steadicam should easily be compensated by the DJI Ronin itself I would think.

*edit - nevermind that, they have recommended weight restrictions either way the X-10 looks to be the best bet.

Looking to use this instead of a typical steadicam rig for more versatility. Thanks in advance!

---
Alternately to save money I can get different weight springs. Thoughts on taking out existing springs from the merlin steadicam arm and vest and putting new ones in for heavier weight.

---

Edited by Matthew Marshall, 13 September 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#2 Ryan Brooks

Ryan Brooks

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

Can you tilt down or up?

#3 Matthew Marshall

Matthew Marshall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Wausau, WI

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

I believe with the DJI ronin you can.

At least one way based off whats on the site is stabilized pan and tilt using the supplied 2nd controller. So a second operator can control it using the brushless motors.

Yes I read further down the page. Smooth Track tuning allows you to pan and tilt so in theory yes. Let me check cinemilled.

I dont see anything about it. Upon further inspection it may not since its attached directly to the arm. Great input, ill email them and make certain. Thanks exactly the questions I was looking for!

#4 Lucas Delbanco

Lucas Delbanco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

You can tilt the camera stage up and down, and tilt left and right.  All that is done by another operator with a remote control of some sort.  It can also be controlled by a joystick on the gimbal itself, though it is common for there to simply be another operator. 

#5 Matthew Marshall

Matthew Marshall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Wausau, WI

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

Yes well as of right now im a one man show.

Regardless im attempting to get this setup. I'll write a laymans review for everyone of all of it put together.

DJI Ronin + Steadicam Merlin arm and vest (looking into this. if anyone has suggestions for a cheap well put together heavy duty more than 20 lb arm and vest post let me know)

Will add sled at a later date, something like that XD.

#6 Stew Cantrell

Stew Cantrell

• Sustaining Members
  • 20 posts
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Does this only work with the Ronin, or would it also work with other gimbals like the movi? I have a friend who owns a movi and wants me to buy an adaptor to put it on my arm. 

#7 Matthew Marshall

Matthew Marshall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Wausau, WI

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

As far as I can tell her its made for the ronin only. Fits right on its connector to the top bar.

#8 John Kopec

John Kopec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Does this only work with the Ronin, or would it also work with other gimbals like the movi? I have a friend who owns a movi and wants me to buy an adaptor to put it on my arm. 

MoVi has their own version: lookup Toad in the Hole and Ninja Star plate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DJI Ronin, Steadicam, armpost, adapter, setup, thoughts

Teradek

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX