2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Rome

Nicolas Rome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Rome,Siena(Italy)

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

After trying the at Daniel souve/ Walter Klassen vest I was amazed how the mecanics of the different leveredge allowed me to swing my sled forwards without having my back muscles saying "What the fuck are you doing!?!". So because I still don't work enough to allow me to get a 7000$ vast I started building one my self. Not carbon fiber but aluminum plates.
I tested it out on a job with very light weight , about 8 kg, and found it very nice but I notised tha I foelt a little bit of a twich in my upper back muscles after wearing it a while...
Can anyone that owns a real back mounted vest share their thoughts so maybe I can make some adjustmants?

#2 PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 880 posts
  • New York City

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

Yes, in fact I built two back-mounted vests. The first one was a fair knock-off of the well-known Klaussen/Suave vest. That is to say, it had a rigid back and flaps around the waist to close. I made an armature out of titanium. Now, I figured it might work well. I was wrong. That bar of titanium came in at about $ 475.00, and was amusing to bend into a 90 degree angle. I did it using the incredibly powerful tube bending machine utilized in Meineke Muffler shops and the like.

The arm flexed, since titanium is springy. The vest was fairly comfy- I made the pads out of Thermopedic Memory Foam. Had I made the armature out of carbon-fiber composite I might really have had something. The vest was honeycomb carbon-fiber composite and was very light yet rigid.

The next vest was all carbon-fiber honeycomb, but I had it all filled with epoxy. It was 100% rigid and I attached the arm socket directly on the right hip. It worked pretty well, although the padding never really worked out well.

Both vests were attempts to stay in my large rig after suffering a broken back in an accident. I ultimately moved on to lighter rigs like the Flyer, but making both vests was an education.

Having seen quite a few iterations of the Klaussen vest, I must say that you are getting what you are paying for here. The measurements, padding, air bladders and whatnot all contribute to a unique feel and weight distribution. It is not for everyone but it sure is a fascinating and valid option.

Peter Abraham
New York

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:40 PM

The vest was fairly comfy- I made the pads out of Thermopedic Memory Foam. 

I've wondered about this. I have a pillow made from this foam and it has done wonders with my sore neck. (Alec Jarnagin can attest to the intense volume when I whip my head around to POP it into place. Very Exorcist and rather loud.)

So I thought that a vest made from this padding would make a lot of sense for a vest, especially a rigid-back one. You could still put air bladders behind the pads.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Camera Motion Research

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC