• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TJ McGinnis

TJ McGinnis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

I am looking to buy a Used Pro Vid 2 from a University department that hasn't used it in 3-4 years. It was always operated by a freelance professional so no students. Is there anything you would recommend me checking into? I am very new to Steadicam. We are purchasing it for possible use in a studio (cabled) as well as post production type of work with XD cams. We also shoot Cannon 5D DSLR and would love to be able to put that on it but i'm afraid it might be too light. Is it as easy as adding weight to the Stedicam to make that work? Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of talk on the internet or these forums about the Pro Vid 2 so I haven't been able to gather much information. I believe it has a 4x3 monitor that shows shades of green. I have been told by Steadicam that the monitor can't be upgraded. Not sure the monitor will still work with an HD camera or not.  Can we just attach a separate 7" HD Monitor? I've also been told by others that I will want to upgrade to a socket block connector?  How important is this? It's being offered for a couple thousand dollars, is that around the right area? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I know that operating this is not easy and we are looking into hiring someone to train us 1 on 1.

#2 Chris Van Campen

Chris Van Campen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hi there TJ. I can't speak directly to the PV2, but there was a thread on it here:

In terms of weight with this rig (and any other), Janice Arthur's weight plates are great. Just figure out how much weight you need to get the total payload into the arm's sweet spot and give her a shout through the forum. I have three plus rods to make a cage and they're all excellent. 

I probably personally wouldn't bite on the PV2 unless it's in great shape and you can get it for a song and dance. Seems like there's a lot of compromises with it versus the current lower end rigs (I own a Zephyr and it's very capable). If you did go that route I also don't see why you couldn't run a lightweight HD monitor on the bottom. You might have to run video externally down to it however.

BTW if the greenscreen is working correctly, they are extremely visible in daylight. You'll be spending thousands to get a daylight visible 7" HD monitor. If you're staying indoors you don't need as many nits...

Good luck!

#3 Wade Ferrari

Wade Ferrari

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:02 AM

Had a provid2 for years. Upgraded to a 7" HD monitor and would just run the BNC down the outside of the sled for it. Biggest disadvantage in this rig was always the Arm to me. One section arm instead of two seriously limits boom range and mine personally wasn't the smoothest gimbal in the world. Check out getting a scout or even a Zephyr if you need something in the similar weight range

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems