8 replies to this topic

#1 Neal Bryant

Neal Bryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

I can't seem to find anything in the search or any literature anywhere on what gauge wiring is inside the Master sled.

I used Afton's wonderful instructions to add a second battery to make my sled native 24v, and I've powered several 24v cameras just fine, but I'm a little concerned about the 85w Alexa.

Still, the Master has a 15amp breaker. An Alexa at 24v draws roughly 3.5 amps, add another 4 amps for AKS and I should be well within the limits... I've never had a bad experience with my Master wiring, I just want to be triple sure that I don't blow anything up!

Whenever I've used the Alexa in the past, I just run an onboard battery, but I would like to shave a little weight.

Edited by Neal Bryant, 19 August 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#2 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

I don't have the answer you are looking for, but I bet Dave Grove, Peter Abraham, Afton, and many others have run 435s at 120-150 fps without issue (granted they don't run that hot for long periods of time).

#3 Neal Bryant

Neal Bryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, Brian. I think it would be fine, I just wish I could find out exactly what gauge the wiring is, then at least I could make an educated guess.

I have powered Epics (60w) with full AKS, so that's not far behind the 85w Alexa.

#4 Chris Callarman

Chris Callarman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Not sure what the gauge is or if this picture helps, but I recently removed the lower I/O panel from my Master sled and this is one of the power cables that I cut that goes up the post from the 24v adapter.

Attached Files

#5 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

That looks like 22 or 24ga a wire and that's what would be called undersized

#6 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

That pictures shows it's about 1/16" thick, which is about 16 AWG. That should be plenty.

#7 Neal Bryant

Neal Bryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I also had it measured today and was told it was 16AWG. Just doing a bit of research looks like it's well within the limits.

#8 Neal Bryant

Neal Bryant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

On this job I prepped today it looks like I'm going to keep an onboard battery anyway just to get fore/aft balance. With my Alexa plate from Cinematic Precision and this Fujinon 19-90, a lightweight brick back there is giving me just what I need. Although, it's nice knowing that I could choose to power the camera from my sled should the need arise. Up until now I've been too gun-shy to try.

#9 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

When I overhauled my master rig, I recall the wiring being fairly substantial - I think 16awg. It would power an Alexa, as well as high speed 435 work, no problem.

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams

Teradek

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech