Steadicam Aesthetics - True Detective

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew bainbridge

Andrew bainbridge

• Sustaining Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

Hey I saw a post the other day talking about starting a thread for the discussion of steadicam aesthetics rather as opposed to straight operating and the consensus seemed it would be best to post in general discussion so I hope this is right. 

Anyways I really loved that idea.  I'm pretty new and inexperienced to steadicam'ing but was just so enthralled by the work in True Detective that I wanted to be all 'waaahhh' and 'wooooh' and 'nooo way!' over it

Obviously there was the amazing long shot in the 4th ep that had me staring at the TV with my mouth wide open but  what I loved even more was the way the steadicam felt like a character in its own right.  Thats not to say you were ever aware you were watching a steadicam shot but so much of that show was about the location and the atmosphere (this article was awesome on this: http://vigilantcitiz...ive-season-one/) and the steadicam work just constantly reenforced that in a way that no other cam technique could - be it those changes from really smooth to slightly looser moves or the way the back of the talent would be out of focus and the surrounds pin.  It was just so considered and in tune with the tone of the show that I just bloody loved it... 

#2 Benjamin Treplin

Benjamin Treplin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 285 posts
  • Berlin - Germany

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

Have a look here: http://www.theaco.net/soc.asp?id=334

Good read, written by Chris McGuire.

#3 Alessandro Ugo

Alessandro Ugo

Advanced Member