Photo

Paralinx Arrow-X. Now we're cooking with gas!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Florida

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

I just recently purchased a brand new Arrow-X and I have to say the performance is incredible.

It looks like the Tomahawk physically, but has not quite that long of a range but the price point is quite less.

The RX is SDI but the TX right now is HDMI, but they will offer an SDI version next month, which I will be upgrading to.

It kicks the but, range wise, on the regular Arrow and also on the standard Bolt. 

I had my Arrow-X on a Disney commercial where we moved locations quite often. Never once did I hear that the village had lost video. Solid as a cable.

On my setup I had the regular Arrow for the directors monitor and the 1st's monitor as well, and had the X for video village. On the X's receiver I also had the Array antenna.

I had a moment for a little test, where I walked away from the village and my 1st stayed there with his monitor for comparison. After a while the signal on the regular Arrow was lost. I kept walking and the X kept going. I lost sight of the village around a bend quite far away. I decided to head back when my AC informed me that the connection was never lost. 

I don't know number wise what that distance was, but unless it's something really particularly different than regular shooting, I've never been that far away from the village.

I have to say, finally there's a wireless system that works solidly, connects super fast (15-20 seconds), and it's built solidly. Looks great and professional.

I'm very pleased with this purchase and it has already become a hot item on my rentals.

#2 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

That's great to hear. My Universal clients have been renting my Arrow kit, even when I'm not on the shoot, ever since I introduced them to it. I sub-rented it for a Disney shoot once, the success rate of these in theme parks has me shocked. Not that the range on the Arrow is bad, but a little extra never hurt. The Arrow-X has caught my eye and sounds like a good upgrade path! When you're in Orlando and have a moment, let's meet up and compare notes..

#3 phil nixon

phil nixon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

Daniel, I'm interested in your comment that connection times in the region of 15/20 secs, can you be 150 feet away and still connect ok in that timeframe or is it a case of being within 20 ft to connect.
More importantly if it's a battery change, do both tx & Rex have to be power cycled for a reconnection.
I ask these questions as a former Bolt 2000 owner with 1.5 to 4 minute connection times needing both tx & Rx units needing to be power cycled at the same time after a battery change..... Hopeless for live events working 150ft away from Rx point.
Phil

#4 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Florida

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

Those are good and more specific questions. The connect times I noted were with TX and RX in close proximity. I can't see why it would be different further away, but I'll definitely test that.

I didn't have to power cycle the TX. It stayed on for most of the time, with the RX getting it's power cut every time we moved location.

#5 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Arrow-X does not need to be power cycled when powering down the transmitter or receiver. Tomahawk also does not need to be power cycled when in multi-link mode.

#6 phil nixon

phil nixon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Daniel and Alan, very interesting results, I look forward to your test results with regards to powering up at a distance. This would make for a better purchase for me if reconnects are feasible after powering down just for a tx battery change at 150 feet. 

Good to hear the Tomahawk will produce similar results.

kind regards

phil nixon

#7 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

For anyone looking for updates on SDI Tomahawk & Arrow-X, please follow this link to the SDI mailing list: http://eepurl.com/XjotT

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications