2 replies to this topic

#1 kearyc

kearyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

Hello all. I'm an amatuer movie maker that has recently purchased a Panasonic AG-DVX100A and some other goodies including the Steadicam Merlin. The Merlin is on backorder for who knows how long but I have some questions regarding the best audio option with my setup.

I have yet to purchase a shotgun mic or wireless mics. I plan on using a shotgun mic attached to a boom for alot of my shots. When using the Steadicam can a mic connected to a boom be used? I'm assuming the answer is no since there will be a wire dangling from the cam that will totally throw off the balance.

However, is a shotgun mic that is attached to the camera a good choice? I would like a little insight as to how others are doing this.

I would like to point out that I am doing this type of work just for my own hobby. I am not working for others, etc. So please don't beat me down too bad for such a obvious question.

Any advice is greatly appreciate.

#2 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi there ! It really depends on what you're doing. Here's what I do. For interviews I use a HF mic (sennheiser ew100G2). If you're just looking for ambient sound, your cam mic will do just fine, or you can use a sound eng with an HF mixer... But avoid dangling wires as much as you can...

#3 kearyc

kearyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:35 PM

Hi there ! It really depends on what you're doing. Here's what I do. For interviews I use a HF mic (sennheiser ew100G2). If you're just looking for ambient sound, your cam mic will do just fine, or you can use a sound eng with an HF mixer... But avoid dangling wires as much as you can...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will be using the steadicam mostly during dialogue so a wireless option was my first choice, but I wasn't sure if it were feasable. I'm still getting my feet wet in the whole industry.

Thanks again.

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

SkyDreams