2 replies to this topic

#1 kearyc

kearyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

Hello all. I'm an amatuer movie maker that has recently purchased a Panasonic AG-DVX100A and some other goodies including the Steadicam Merlin. The Merlin is on backorder for who knows how long but I have some questions regarding the best audio option with my setup.

I have yet to purchase a shotgun mic or wireless mics. I plan on using a shotgun mic attached to a boom for alot of my shots. When using the Steadicam can a mic connected to a boom be used? I'm assuming the answer is no since there will be a wire dangling from the cam that will totally throw off the balance.

However, is a shotgun mic that is attached to the camera a good choice? I would like a little insight as to how others are doing this.

I would like to point out that I am doing this type of work just for my own hobby. I am not working for others, etc. So please don't beat me down too bad for such a obvious question.

Any advice is greatly appreciate.

#2 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi there ! It really depends on what you're doing. Here's what I do. For interviews I use a HF mic (sennheiser ew100G2). If you're just looking for ambient sound, your cam mic will do just fine, or you can use a sound eng with an HF mixer... But avoid dangling wires as much as you can...

#3 kearyc

kearyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:35 PM

Hi there ! It really depends on what you're doing. Here's what I do. For interviews I use a HF mic (sennheiser ew100G2). If you're just looking for ambient sound, your cam mic will do just fine, or you can use a sound eng with an HF mixer... But avoid dangling wires as much as you can...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will be using the steadicam mostly during dialogue so a wireless option was my first choice, but I wasn't sure if it were feasable. I'm still getting my feet wet in the whole industry.

Thanks again.

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery