5 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Vatcher

Ian Vatcher

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Hey Everyone.
I've been having some problems of late with the locking clamps on the post of my Ultra Cine. Particularly the lower two sections of the telescoping post. I've noticed that every now and again ( like halfway through the day) the yellow centre line will be slightly off in matching up, as the bottom most section of the post holding the battery hanger has shifted, that or the next post up has shifted slightly to the left or right.

It has become habit for me to make sure the lines match up all they way (so I know the balance hasn't shifted) before I undock which has become annoying.

I've tightened up the clamps as much as possible without straining against the little metal locking tab. And I've gone inside the posts and have tightened the set screws that hold the locking tabs in place. I read somewhere else on the forum that that should help most issues, but it still occurs.

I'm not sure what else I can do at this point to keep a tight lock on the posts, but I know that a slight bump against the battery hanger or against the monitor may result in a shift in the post arrangement.

Anyone else have a similar problem? I've got the newer Ultra 2 locking clamp on the gimbal and it locks super solid. Is there a way to upgrade to newer style ultra 2 clamps? Or does anyone know of a better fix for these locks?

#2 Ian Vatcher

Ian Vatcher

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Also, this might be in the wrong forum section, for which I apologize in advance. I'm not sure how to move it to the Center Post section after posting it here.

#3 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hello Ian,

As far as i know, Ultra1 clamps were a little problematic. Tiffen sorted this out on Ultra2s. i know that gimbal clamps are upgradable so the other post clamps should be too.

you should contact Tiffen. i'm sure they will help you in no time.

fly safe. 

#4 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 921 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

You can upgrade the post clamps, but it's not cheap. IIRC from a conversation I had about it, Taking off the old clamps without compromising the post is a difficult endeavor, so you're probably looking at replacing the posts as well.

However, There are 3 things you can replace first.  You can do the first one yourself.  Each clamp has 2 set screws that you can tighten against the metal strikeplate.  If tightening them hasn't worked, they may be too worn.  You can probably find these at McMaster Carr.  They come out with an Allen wrench and can be replaced just as easily. Just be careful, as you already have, to not over-tighten. You can break much more expensive pieces!

Then there is the strike plate, Only source I know of is Tiffen, but IIRC, this is the least likely part to need replacing.

Lastly is the brake pad that lines the inside of the post.  Again, Tiffen is your best resource here.

I'd replace those screws and if that doesn't do it send your rig to Tiffen. You could even try switching the screws on the bad clamps with screws from a clamp that's working.  If the problem stays the same, if the problem switches clamps you know it's the screws, if it remains the same the problem is not the screws.

#5 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

You should also try tightening two small and hidden screws that hold the striker plate from the INSIDE of the clamp body.  You have to pull the posts apart to get at them, and also slide the polycarbonate brake lining around (or remove it, no problem) to get at those screws.

#6 Ian Vatcher

Ian Vatcher

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hey guys! That's awesome, thanks for all of the helpful info. I'll give all of these a check through and see if it helps the situation. If I can get by without having to replace the posts, that would be ideal, though I'm glad that that's an option as well. Thanks again everyone!

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems