Looking for Shadowing Opportunities, Summer 2014 (NY/NJ)

shadowing steadi-newbie on-set experience

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Robinson

Joseph Robinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Westchester County, New York

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hello All,

My name is Joseph Robinson, and I decided I would pursue a career as a Steadicam Operator back in March of 2013. Since then, I have had two semesters of experience operating Steadicam, including a course based solely on Steadicam. Not too long ago, I posted my first reel after a semester of course-work (here) looking for feedback. Many of you were kind enough to note certain things I should try to improve on, though I have not had the opportunity to operate since December.

As for the Summer, I know that as of now I have time, and was looking to see if there are any Operators local to NY/NJ (I can commute to the City without an issue) and know of any situations in which I could shadow on-set. As of now, I have only worked on course-related work, though I held an internship at the production studio of a hospital. I have never been on an actual set outside of my course-work.

I feel that my lack of on-set experience will hold me back, so I have been trying for a while to get experience. I would like to know if anybody here knows of any opportunities in which I would be able to get some experience and/or knowledge of what it's like on set. I am not  necessarily asking for a job or internship opportunity, but more like shadowing, as I would love to see first-hand what it's like for a Steadicam Operator more than anything.

If anybody knows of such opportunities, or other advice they would like to share with me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Joseph Robinson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shadowing, steadi-newbie, on-set, experience

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery