3 replies to this topic

#1 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 429 posts
  • India

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

A couple of days ago I was booked on a commercial. I arrived there and kitted up with a Red Epic - first time for me - and was told by the 1st AD that I was to be in the commercial. It was a set of a talk show, with a host etc and I was supposed to circle around and they would shoot the scene from another camera.

They had no plans to use any of the footage that I shot. In fact my camera would not even roll.

I was quite taken aback, but complied and did the shoot. They had also rented a Chapman Hybrid MK3, an Oconnor 2575C, Lambda Head, Ronford Slider and some other stuff from me, so I wasn't complaining.

But it felt vaguely unsettling, and I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

Also, do you bill as an op ? or an actor ?

#2 RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

As long as they give me a trailer, hourly fellating and allow me to miss my marks with epic inaccuracy, I feel like a real actor and am ok being photographed. Did you ask if they see your feet?

#3 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 429 posts
  • India

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think I would have been just one of the many extras on set that day. Pretty weird feeling. Should have asked for the trailer.

#4 Guille Moreno

Guille Moreno

• Sustaining Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hi Sanjay, funny enough someone just posted a commercial were I did the casting to be in it, although at the end a friend did it:

I was the grip in it at the end. better to be behind the camera as usal, but the rate for acting was very similar to the rate as an operator, for just a couple of hours work, and I don't remember exactly how it worked, but depending of the countries were they showed the TVC you would get paid more afterwards (don't know exactly how that works either...), so it wasn't a bad deal at all, other than having to stand all your colleague's jokes every time we had to repeat the take for "bad acting" while enjoying a bite of the product...

Of course, the operator knew what he was doing and what he was hired for before hand, your case is a bit different...

but it's good for laughs...

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC