• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Anyone know what Southwest requires in order to give a media rate for baggage? First time flying them with gear.

#2 John Stout

John Stout

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 119 posts
  • Jacksonville, FL

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Southwest is easy.  A smile, please and thank you.  

I believe they have raised their rates though to $75.00.

#3 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 257 posts
  • Florida

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

I use Southwest all the time. You need a badge, card or any ID that confirms you are media related.

Then you basically are off the hook on overweight. You still have to pay $75 for any bag after the 2 free ones, but they are all cleared from the 50lb and size limit.

When I go, I usually have a large carry on with either lenses, or Epic bodies and always my Lithium batteries. If you have a crummy boarding group and not sure your bag will make it to the overhead, ask the people at the gate nicely if you can get to pre-board. Usually they are nice about it and 4 out of 5 times they will give you a pre-board sliver of paper. But don't abuse it. I only ask if I have a large carry on, and I'm at the tail end of B, or C boarding group, and considering that the Lithium batteries I'm caring cannot be gate checked.

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1144 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

I just use my business card. Some agents dont know about it so I carry a printout of their policy from their website. If you have any trouble just ask to speak with a supervisor.

#5 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

In the past I've been shut down with a business card or a letter. The sticklers want to see official ID. The badge I made from the site in that link has been completely foolproof, and has helped avoid wasted time, asking for supervisors etc. I just wished I had done it a few years earlier when I was flying a lot more.

It's still amazing to me that easily half of the agents I've come up against draw a complete blank when you say "media rate".

#6 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

In the end, $20 and curbside checkin was all I needed. I gave the guy a letter that production had sent but he said he didn't need it. Thanks for all the tips though.

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems