• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Naiman

Sam Naiman

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

This clip was brought to my attention last night. The skiing-tracking shots were done with the movi and phantom miro.  I have to say I really admire the talent of the follow skier, who's listed as Kirk Bereska. To my mind, the aspects of these shot that play so well are the close tracking combined with its velocity.  I don't think I'd ever be willing or able to do something like this with my rig.  Any other more experienced ops out there care to speculate on another way this could be accomplished?

#2 Sam Naiman

Sam Naiman

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Here's their BTS reel. With all of the optical effects applied (digital zooms, frame retiming, tracking and smoothing), it's hard to tell what the original shot looked like, but it looks like they included at least one 'cleaner' version here around 1:56.

#3 John E Fry

John E Fry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 86 posts
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire UK

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

Superb, and most suitable use of a Movi I've seen yet. In fact it may be almost the only situations that you couldn't use a Steadicam for. Brilliant work all round. Totally radical, man.

#4 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

After 12 years of doing summer and winter X-Games from chase cam to super slo-mo camera, this rig is a dream because you have someone else panning, tilting and focusing for you.

Not the best use of this rig but certainly another cool way to utilize a great tool

I still think the Burton Factory video done all in one move on the Movi is the best way to use it

#5 Aaron Medick SOC

Aaron Medick SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 174 posts
  • NYC

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

A great example of technology advancements being used to great effect. It's incredible that one can pack 5ish 1650 pelican cases with everything you need to create this spot. Including the movi, camera,editing, VFX and Color correction equipment

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

SkyDreams

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies