Being inspired by similar designs by Rencher, Germond and Bard I finally received the parts to do something I've been wanting to do for a while and thought I'd share it as I'm sure others can build and improve on it. It always bothered me that I had an internal battery in the Hyperdeck which really doesn't last long enough to be useful for my purposes other than if an alternate power source was disconnected without me knowing. I also didn't like how heavy the BMD cheeseplate is as well as always having to come up with some sort of way to power the thing from p-tap to barrel which aren't always available after adding FF, HD Transmitter, Monitor etc. I've always liked several camera back solutions I've seen where we can just stack devices with the last item being a battery powering it all. So with all this in mind and getting some info from Iain on his great mod, I went to work.
Here are photos of my phase 1 mod:
Male Gold Mount Plate powering Hyperdeck and the Female Gold Mount:
Unfortunately given the size and design of the female plate I had to offset it to keep the centre balance correct:
Mounted on an AB mount installed on back of camera cage, could also go on the back of monitor with an AB plate:
Stacked on battery hanger:
Alternate method however I haven't tested this yet as I need to investigate and ensure that it's safe to power the Hyperdeck from the CAM PTAP to Hyperdeck Barrel which would essentially loop the power back in the system which may be a huge no-no. If I can't do this then I'll have to stack a battery on the hyperdeck or install a kill-switch on the female AB plate. I do like the balance of a single battery setup when possible so hopefully I can get it to work.
For Phase 2:
- I want to put an on/off switch on the Hyperdeck but am weary of it getting accidentally switched.
- Like Iain's mod, I'll be installing some BNC terminals.
- I'd like to install another switch which would disable the power to the female plate, again though would want to make sure it's located in a knock free zone.
- Maybe both these switches will go on the bottom of the male AB plate as that area is fairly protected.
- Another option, if I can't loop the power, would be to use the male side of the hyperdeck and use an intersex plate from Alan when available, then run a ptap to barrel to power the Hyperdeck.
- I'd like to use authentic AB male and female plates however I have been unsuccessful finding the latter, so I ordered from ebay/china which is never my preference as nothing is every exact fitment wise (If any of you know where I can buy a smaller but good quality powered female plate please let me know).
Anyway, I welcome any ideas, thoughts or comments good or bad.