6 replies to this topic

#1 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I freakin hate 48fps on the Hobbit movies. I think Cameron is shooting/will be shooting Avatar 2 in 60fps. I know they're saying it's to improve motion blur and such. But it still looks like crap.

Has anybody worked on features that are doing this? Is this the future? If so the futures ugly. Ugh!

#2 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 985 posts
  • Europe

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Nope, never worked with it, but I share your initial revulsion. Apparently gamers are used to, and like, HFR, so we may have to get used to it. My main objection is illogical: it looks like video, and that makes it harder for me suspend my disbelief. Evidently gamers do not experience that problem.

#3 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

I share the same opinion. I actually enjoy the slight flicker of the film image. I hate the new trend of HDTV to upscale the images to 120fps like motion flow ™ and such, it makes it look fake and suddenly looks like a cheap sitcom. Bug I have to say I was not that disturbed by the hobbit to the point that I am still wondering if my theater wasn't lying about the 48 fps.

#4 PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 882 posts
  • New York City

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

A quick primer on Showscan may be useful in this discussion.

Best to all,

Peter Abraham, S.O.C.

#5 brett.mayfield

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 217 posts
  • hotlanta | lost angeles

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

also, doesnt shutter speed have something to do with the effect? i dont like the video look, which occurs when you shoot 48fps at 1/48 or 60fps at 1/60. if you up the shutter speed, the effect changes. at least thats what i found in my unofficial tests. otherwise, it can be like looking at a wall of TVs in a costco going through a pan&scan fit!

#6 Robert Skates

Robert Skates

• Sustaining Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Peter, thanks for mentioning Showscan. When Jackson and Cameron first began talking about higher frame rate, Showscan was barely mentioned. Sad that so many who make a living writing about the industry have little idea of the history of our technology.

#7 PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 882 posts
  • New York City

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

I would be concerned that I come off as some curmodgeonly oldster, but I've been preaching this my entire career. FILM is...what- 130 year sold give or take?

Learn from the mistakes of others, build on the successes of others, be inspired by both. Wanna know about hubris, greed, self-consumption and arrogance? Read Final Cut: Dreams and Disaster in the Making of Heaven's Gate. So what if the film was made in the late 1970's? ALL of the details are rich, the lessons are deeply sobering. And- the first half of the first chapter is as concise and heart-warming recounting of the founding of The United Artists Film Corporation as any I've read.

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus