Photo

Where to buy coiled power / audio cable?

power battery cable canare

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Donovan Henneberg-Verity

Donovan Henneberg-Verity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

So I am making some new camera power cords for myself and I was thinking it would be really nice to have have coiled / pigtail / stretchable cable for these. I can't seem to find any raw cable like this for sale though.

So I am looking for raw cable like this:

DV016_Jpg_Large_330241.004.607_blue_9m_c

that have has similar characteristics to something like Canare Two-Conductor Cable (http://www.canare.co...roductItemID=57) or Canare Star Quad (http://www.canare.co...roductItemID=53).

Thanks!

#2 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

I bought a couple of the "Amazon Basics" coiled audio cables, and soldered the proper connectors on. Works great. Buy a stereo cable, so that you can use the shielding as neutral and tie the two leads together as your positive. It'll be comparable to a ~20AWG power cable.

Attached Files

#3 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

You might also look for coiled instrument cable on musiciansfriend.com; just be mindful of the cable OD diameter, and the overall flexibility.

#4 Donovan Henneberg-Verity

Donovan Henneberg-Verity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

You might also look for coiled instrument cable on musiciansfriend.com; just be mindful of the cable OD diameter, and the overall flexibility.

I bought a couple of the "Amazon Basics" coiled audio cables, and soldered the proper connectors on. Works great. Buy a stereo cable, so that you can use the shielding as neutral and tie the two leads together as your positive. It'll be comparable to a ~20AWG power cable.

Thanks for the advice Alan, I'll check those out! It just seems odd that I can't find and buy "spools" of coiled cable anywhere.

#5 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the advice Alan, I'll check those out! It just seems odd that I can't find and buy "spools" of coiled cable anywhere.

I guess it's just not practical to make spools of coiled cable. Even the "bulk"coiled cable that Markertek sells is more expensive than cutting a consumer cable.

#6 Jarrett P. Morgan

Jarrett P. Morgan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 225 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I used Belden 8601 when I do coiled camera power cables. It is 18 AWG 2 conductor coiled. The length they sell it in is enough for two cables of good length.

Has worked perfectly in the past for me.

Just my 2 Cent.

Also: welcome to the forum Donovan!

#7 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

I used Belden 8601 when I do coiled camera power cables. It is 18 AWG 2 conductor coiled. The length they sell it in is enough for two cables of good length.

Just my 2 Cent.

What supplier do you use? I did a quick search, and I'm seeing ~$30 per one foot coil (retracted length). Does that sounds about right to you, or do you have a better source?

#8 Jarrett P. Morgan

Jarrett P. Morgan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 225 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

Just my 2 Cent.

What supplier do you use? I did a quick search, and I'm seeing ~$30 per one foot coil (retracted length). Does that sounds about right to you, or do you have a better source?

Yikes. No, I did not pay that much. I have only made a couple of coiled cables for people, so I have actually only bought them once, and it was a lot of 4 of them for something like $48 new on eBay. I may have just gotten lucky though!

#9 Donovan Henneberg-Verity

Donovan Henneberg-Verity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Just my 2 Cent.

Haha totally just noticed that this was you Jarrett. I'll check out the Belden cable also, thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power, battery, cable, canare

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

BOXX

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems