4 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler Pulsifer

Tyler Pulsifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hey All,

I'm brand new to using a steadicam(as well as brand new to the forum!)

I'm using a Steadicam Merlin II for a motion filmmaking project, but I having a pretty hard time figuring it out. I'm shooting with a canon t4i with an 18-135 lens. If someone could help me figure out setting, I would forever love you!

Normally I'm a "learn by doing" kind of guy, and I'd usually just fiddle with it on my own until I got it right. However, I'm on a pretty slim deadline for this project, and scheduling my group is becoming increasingly difficult, so my allowed 'fiddle time' isn't as long as I would have hoped.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Best,

Tyler

#2 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Watch this video, read the quick start (Link), refer to your cookbook (Link) for the number of weights. Unfortunately, there s no shortcut to learning how to use your Steadcam Merlin. It's like asking for a shortcut to learning guitar, I can teach you how to tune it, but you will have to practice yourself. 

Also, I would advise to start with a smaller lens, and preferably not a zoom. Also know that every time you zoom in or out, you will need to rebalance the merlin all over again.

#3 Tyler Pulsifer

Tyler Pulsifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Yea, I'm aware that I can't just magically learn it, but much like learning guitar, it's so use if I don't know how to tune it first haha.

I was originally going to use an 18-55 but it seems to have disappeared from my bag. -.- I'll see if I can get my hands on something last minute.

#4 Neal Smith

Neal Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Tyler, did you ever figure out the setting for the t4i and the 18-135?  Just curious because I just purchased the Merlin2 and wanted to use that lens (i don't have an 18-55).  Please let me know if you cracked the code?

#5 Tyler Pulsifer

Tyler Pulsifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Tyler, did you ever figure out the setting for the t4i and the 18-135?  Just curious because I just purchased the Merlin2 and wanted to use that lens (i don't have an 18-55).  Please let me know if you cracked the code?

We weren't able to get it perfect, but we also didn't have a long time with the gear. We just it good enough to where the footage was useable, but it was far from perfect. Your best bet is honestly just to fiddle with it little by little and practice handling the Merlin as much as possible. Victor was definitely right, it's much easier to start with a smaller lens. 

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

SkyDreams

Teradek

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems