• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby Yarsulik

Bobby Yarsulik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

I do video production for a marketing department for a forklift parts distribution company. I recently just purchased a Merlin 2 for our camera, and it works awesome.

However, I couldn't find the camera on their "Merlin 2 Cookbook" website, so I basically just tried to balance it via the basic steps, and I got it working pretty well.

We use a Canon Vixia HF G20. Not sure if anyone has ever setup this rig for that camera or not, but was just curious if there was any information (if any), to help maybe get it closer to perfect.

#2 Zak Draskovich

Zak Draskovich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hello Bobby. You might find some useful info on John Brune's Handheld Steadicam Workshop on the web. Scroll down and click on the links too. Obviously you can find a wealth of info right here on this site by using the search bar and typing in Merlin or Merlin2. As as a last resort for balancing you can do a web search for the "magic formula". Best regards, Zak

#3 Elliot Gabor

Elliot Gabor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

The biggest tip is add as much weight as the merlin can handle.  More weight = more inertia.  Any preset configuartion or cookbook recipe won't replace understanding the physics of how the steadicam works. 

#4 Doug Going

Doug Going

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hi, I just picked up the Merlin2 as well and will be using it with a Canon XA20. Any cookbook settings out there? Much appreciated. Thank you.

#5 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

There are a few recipes for the XA10 on the cookbook website (both official and user submitted). Why not starting there?

#6 Doug Going

Doug Going

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thank you Victor. I did this and it got me close. I've been tweaking it a bit and am getting it closer. I seem to have an issue though with the camera panning or going into a slow spin (yaw). Thanks so much.

Checked out your site. Nice work! I'm in NY too.

BOXX

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus