#1 Jennifer Mashuga

Jennifer Mashuga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

Hi all!
I'm writing a story about Steadicam operators, about examining failure. If you have any stories you'd like to share, about things that you filmed that were awful, odd, prone to accidents or just plain difficult to shoot, I'd love to hear about them. Any questions, let me know!
Thanks,
Jennifer

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

That's pretty interesting, Jennifer--what do you plan to do with the story when it's done?

Also--the examples you describe would make for bad work conditions or extreme challenges, but do you want to hear about the operator struggling against the odds and succeeding in some way (this forum is full of such stories) or actually failing in the face of adversity (only a brave few dare admit their losses)?!

Perhaps we could start a new folder: "Jobs I've been fired from and it was my fault"...on second thought, it might turn out to be a skinny folder.

#3 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:59 PM

Charles,
we could start with a story from one of your 48hr Films -- me being so happy about making it through a small doorway un-spotted that I forgot to turn the corner and smashed a framed picture...wasn't it a Monet?

there was also the time on horseback...I can't believe all my, uh, naughty bits still worked after all that bouncing around.

RB

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, but see, Ron, the shot was great and of course I'd hire you again. Maybe not to do Steadicam, of course, but my crawl space needs to be cleaned out. See you at the Home Depot parking lot.

#5 Jennifer Mashuga

Jennifer Mashuga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:07 PM

Hey Charles!
I am writing the story for a film magazine I'm currently interning for, so most likely, it would end up on the magazine's web page, which I would post here. I would rather hear stories about overcoming obstacles and great challenges, whether it's having to film on horseback(which sounds horrible, by the way) or working with challenging directors or environments. Any stories you have are great.
Thanks again!
Jen

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions