9 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a higher gain antenna for the BFD / BDR?

#2 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a higher gain antenna for the BFD / BDR?

The following half-wave antennas can be purchased from http://www.digikey.com/ and will increase the range over the standard quarter-wave antennas:

Transmitter antenna: ANT-916-CW-HW-ND

Receiver antenna (Analog): ANT-916-CW-HWR-RPS-ND

BDR: ANT-916-OC-LG-RPS-ND

They are about twice as long as the standard antennas.

Jim Bartell

#3 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thanks, Jim!

#4 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Just bought those, lets see how much that helps extending the range in this wireless world :-)

#5 Thomas Valko

Thomas Valko

• Sustaining Members
  • 7 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

I just received both of the long range half-wave antennas that Jim listed above, and used them on a job today.  I started by first replacing the transmitter antenna, and kept the quarter-wave antenna on the receiver.  Mainly because the new receiver antenna is rather large, and I wanted to see how we would fare with just using the half-wave antenna for the transmitter.  

My 1st and I were very happy, not a single issue with transmission the whole day.  We were separated by thick concrete walls in the morning, and line of sight exteriors a few hundred feet apart after lunch, without any trouble.  I feel that with the standard quarter-wave antennas we would have normally run into some issues.  I will try and record more accurate results next time.  Overall, I think It made a difference, and if you use a Bartech it's worth it to have these in your kit.  They are cheap, and they shipped really fast.  

#6 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

I bought them as well. I haven't needed to swap them out yet as I have been in the studio lately.

They're in the kit and ready for the next time I'm running through an alley!

#7 John Stout

John Stout

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 119 posts
  • Jacksonville, FL

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

I am with Alan, haven't needed them yet, but they are ordered and on their way to be added to "the kit".

Sometimes I think McGuyver would be jealous of the amount of stuff that is in the kit.

#8 Quaid Cde Baca

Quaid Cde Baca

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 35 posts
  • Ladera Ranch, CA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Although mine is the 95th unit made (~13 years old), I loose a solid connection past ~30feet line of sight. it begins to lag, and sometimes not even respond in very very close distances with no interceptions.

#9 Javier Santos

Javier Santos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:46 AM

Although mine is the 95th unit made (~13 years old), I loose a solid connection past ~30feet line of sight. it begins to lag, and sometimes not even respond in very very close distances with no interceptions.

I know it's quite a old post. But I was having what sounds like a similar issue with my unit. Loosing signaI at around 30 feet with a clear line of sight. Tried the long range antennas mentioned in this post and it only made it worse.

I took it down to Jim and he swapped out the receiver and transmitter modules. That apparently fixed it. 

He also told me that I can throw away the halve wave antenna for the Transmiter that I bought. Whose link is above. Just doesn´t work. 

Only the halve wave antenna for the Receiver is good to use. 

#10 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for posting that Javier.  When I originally tested the longer range transmitter antenna it seemed to improve the range.  Later on I retested it and it actually made matters worse.  So I concur with Javier, receiver antenna yes, transmitter antenna no.

Jim

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

BOXX