3 replies to this topic

#1 Charles R Turner

Charles R Turner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

OK... New guy, first time post.  

I have worked 2nd AC on some local country music videos here in Nashville.  Currently, I'm working on a short film and doing a few POV shots.  One of the shots requires a POV to where we see the Actor's hand reach out and point a gun.  A buddy of mine works at a small ad firm and said they accomplished something just like this, but due to lack of funds (even though the agency isn't hurting), they made some sorta of helmet cam???

I was at least halfway intrigued so he sent me a link to the agency's blog describing it.  Honestly, I still don't get the need for this contraption at all, but they seem pretty darn proud of it.  Am I missing something?  What's the point of this contraption?  Judging from some of the comments on the blog, it looks like I'm not the only one; however, I'd rather ask the pros.  

Here is their blog showing (and describing) the helmet cam:  http://www.cjadverti...tion/#more-2881

And for reference point, here is the video they shot with it:  

Thanks for any feedback.  Charles Turner.

#2 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

That's not a new idea, and I've seen better implementations. It's by no means a Steadicam. It's just a helmet mounted camera, but it works for those specialty shots.

#3 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Welcome on the Steadicam Forum, I agree with Alan that this has nothing to do with Steadicam though.

Have a look at GoPro, that's basically what this little camera is designed for. http://gopro.com/cam...CFYSf4Aodxl8A-g

Oh and it shoots 2.7K (haha!)

#4 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

What about Ed's brushless gimbal rig for the GoPro mounted to a helmet?

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers