#1 Haris Pallas

Haris Pallas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 87 posts
  • Thessaloniki,GREECE

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to connect an SDI output to a Firewire input OR an HDMI output to a Firewire input...

Is this possible?

If yes, what choices do I have? (I don't mind if it's not a straight connection...a patent is welcome too!)

Any thoughts, links to cables, adaptors, converters are welcome...

Thank you,

- Haris -

#2 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

What do you want to connect together. FireWire is transporting data, not video and I think that the bandwidth of FireWire is lower than SDI. If you mean the FireWire used with the mini DV decks and camcorders, then down convert with a decimator then go through a DV deck and output through mini FireWire. If that's not it then please explain what you re trying to do, there might be another way.

#3 Haris Pallas

Haris Pallas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 87 posts
  • Thessaloniki,GREECE

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hi Victor,

I have the Sony HVR-MRC1 recorder unit from my Sony Z7 and I'm trying to find a way to turn it into a steadicam onboard recorder.

The only input this recorder has is a Firewire 400. So I'm trying to see if I can feed it with video from my SDI or HDMI of my Decimator 2.

I know there is no cable ready to do this job, so I'm searching a good cable/adaptor patent to make it work.

I know there is a converter for this job but it cost as much as an Atomos recorder and I can't afford it.

Thanks,

- Haris -

#4 Jarrett P. Morgan

Jarrett P. Morgan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 225 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

The deck you have is a HDV/DV deck, so it is expecting a DV signal over the firewire port. I don't know of a device that converts a video signal from SDI or HDMI to a true DV signal (not just a composite feed). The only way I can think to do it would be to get a miniDV camera that can take in an external video source (as many can) and then use the Firewire out of that camera to your recorder. 

Sorry to say so, but it may make more sense to invest in a different recorder. I can't see a way to make yours work without a substantial amount of gak on the rig.... (that doesn't meant that it isn't possible though) 

#5 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Does the Matrox MXO2 Mini fit your bill? It's a capture card essentially. Can connect to your PC or Mac via ExpressCard34 or PCI Slot. Optional Thunderbolt module. It has HDMI and component I/O. http://www.matrox.co...ucts/mxo2_mini/ The MXO2 LE has HD-SDI and is the more expensive version. http://www.matrox.co...oducts/mxo2_le/

#6 Haris Pallas

Haris Pallas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 87 posts
  • Thessaloniki,GREECE

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi Mike,

I need that solution for onboard steadicam...thanks anyway.

I think I'm going to give up on that plan and go for a HyperDeck Shuttle V2...what do you think Jarrett?

Thank you all,

- Haris -

#7 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

The hyperdeck is a great low cost recorder (I have it on my Zephyr) just be aware that the rec trigger does not work with Alexas or Canon cameras C300, only Reds and Sonys.

#8 Haris Pallas

Haris Pallas

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 87 posts
  • Thessaloniki,GREECE

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi Victor,

When you say rec trigger you don't mean the rec button, do you?

#9 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

You can start recording by pressing the button any time but if you red and Sony cameras can trigger the recorder when you start the recording on the camera preventing you from having to trigger both the camera and the recorder.

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

IDX

BOXX

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems