• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Camera Essentials

Camera Essentials

• Sustaining Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Camera Essentials is exploring making rain poncho's for Stabilizers - we have made a small run of ponchos and are 'testing the water' :)

The Rain Poncho's are made of black waterproof-breathable fabric, and have two velcro 'access' flaps in the front for the stabilizer arm to emerge.

Otherwise, it's your basic Poncho, goes over the head and has a drawstring around the neck.

The Poncho is 36' from shoulder to front hem, and 42" shoulder to rear hem (longer in the back).

We didn't make it with a hood, just a drawstring at the neck. What would you prefer?

Here is the link to our website:

http://www.cameraess...rain_covers.htm

Cheers,    Patti Harrison

Attached Files

#2 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Super good idea. I'd prefer the hood option; use it or not, but at least it's there.

#3 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

FWIW, my Harrison sled standby cover is extremely well made and beats the pants off the space blanket and grip-clip option.

#4 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

I also think it's a great idea...especially for those with back mounted harnesses.  I would want a hood.

#5 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 269 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Camera Essentials is exploring making rain poncho's for Stabilizers - we have made a small run of ponchos and are 'testing the water' :)

The Rain Poncho's are made of black waterproof-breathable fabric, and have two velcro 'access' flaps in the front for the stabilizer arm to emerge.

Otherwise, it's your basic Poncho, goes over the head and has a drawstring around the neck.

The Poncho is 36' from shoulder to front hem, and 42" shoulder to rear hem (longer in the back).

We didn't make it with a hood, just a drawstring at the neck. What would you prefer?

Here is the link to our website:

http://www.cameraess...rain_covers.htm

Cheers,    Patti Harrison

My first reaction to a poncho is that there would be too much loose material hanging that could potential interfere with the sled. I've always used a cheap XXXL Rain jacket that I've cut a hole in for the arm.

IB

#6 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1230 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

My problem with ponchos is that I like to have my sleeves chut tight, If you lift your arms all the water will fall into your vest, making the whole poncho useless.

#7 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

I've got a North Face rain jacket with underarm zipper vent, and it works great my vest. Just look for rain jackets that have the zipper and try it on to make sure the socket block is in the right place.

#8 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Got a Columbia heavy duty rain jacket, i HAD to cut a hole in the side during a soccer match shoot, and then my wife sewed a hem around the cut out so it would not rip any longer. Works great, and there is nothing extra to interfere with the sled.

I love everything CE that I have, but a One side Poncho might not work in my particular case

#9 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

for front mount vests, just take it to REI and try on a few jackets until you find one where the socket block matches up to the pocket height...cut a slot in the pocket. Back mounted is a different story...why I was interested to try the poncho (can I call it a pedro?)

#10 Camera Essentials

Camera Essentials

• Sustaining Members
  • 1 posts
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

This is what is great about the Forum - instant feedback! thanks everyone.

We have velcro underneath the arms instead of snaps, so you can use the poncho with a backmounted vest and velcro around the mount. Not so much chance of water coming inside if you raise your arms also.

Sounds like incorporating a hood is a good idea- use it or not....

I am collaborating with Jerry Hill on developing the rain poncho, so this first version is in it's prototype phase. Jerry will have the final version on his new website- coming soon.

#11 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Vote for Poncho!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raincover, rain, poncho

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies