• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nelson Reis

Nelson Reis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

First of all i like to give props to ALL steadicam operators ...its not as easy as it seems ... With time and and lots of training i hope to máster this skill ...Just got my first rig the zephyer.... Rig is awesome and the compact vest fits my body frame like a glove ...my first dilema was trying to use my 7'ikan monitor ...unfortunally it does not have sdi out so i can spit hdmi from dslr without a converter on top and bottow of the sled .... if i coil a hdmi cable from the top of the sled to the bottom around the pole will it unbalance the rig in anyway ? Have any of you guys tried this workaround ?

#2 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

You just spent $10,000 on a rig, and you don't want to spend another $250 to use it properly? Just buy a Blackmagic Design Mini Converter, Atomos Connect, Decimator, etc.

#3 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

I wouldn't coil it around the pole but simply have it go from the front of the camera to the monitor in a straight line, but no matter what this is not a good final solution. I have a zephyr too and I use a HDMI converter by the camera to switch to Sid for the sled. If you get a decorator converter, you will also be able to down convert to ad and use the original ad monitor.

#4 Nelson Reis

Nelson Reis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I did bougth the blackmagic hdmi to sdi converter with battery ...but i forgot that my ikan monitor doenst have sdi Its got hdmi , video bnc, and ypbr... Im only trying go keep the ikan so i can work with false colors . I think the two options would be to buy a new monitor that accepts sdi or buy another converter to put on the bottow of the sled to convert back to hdmi into my ikan

#5 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

I would say the only option would be a new monitor, your ikan is not high bright which will be a very bad situation once you step outside with the rig, also going from a converter to another will add bulk, plugs and problems.

Check my monitor chart if you like: http://bit.ly/steadihdmonitors

Keep your ikan as a Director's monitor with a Paralinx arrow. I did that with my DP6 and my 1AC and Clients are happy.

#6 Alex Kolb

Alex Kolb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Midwest USA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

While it's also not ideal to have an external cable when things can be done through the post, I have colleagues who have run things externally for years, even with high end rigs.

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

get an extra receiver and transmit to the monitor with the paralinx...problem solved!

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions