Photo

Bartech handset: how to calibrate the speed of forward or reverse switch?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Federico Rizzo

Federico Rizzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I want to use the forward or reverse switch in the Bartech to shoot with zoom lenses. Is there a way to calibrate the speed of the switch? 

#2 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Are you talking about this? http://webpages.char...artech/buz.html

#3 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Clarification would help. My interpretation is that you want to use a standard BFD (or perhaps a BDR) to remotely zoom during a shot. This works, but as far as I know there is no way to change the speed of the motor as on a Preston.  Though I've never used a BDR, so maybe that would be an option.

I have no idea why the switch would come into play.  I guess a crash zoom with less effort? I can throw a BFD focus wheel from one end to the other pretty fast, if the motor could keep up with me I'm sure it would be a great crash zoom.

Please clarify exactly what you are trying to achieve and we can help you better.

#4 Federico Rizzo

Federico Rizzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Yes Brian

You are right. I want to use a standard BFD (or perhaps a BDR) to remotely zoom during a shot. I'd like to change the speed of the motor as on a Preston, faster or slowly without rotating the knob but only using the switch forward or reverse. It seems not possible.

Federico 

#5 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

It is not possible on the Bartech, ah you need to give a few things on a device that is 6 times cheaper.

#6 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

What is 6 times cheaper? A single BFD unit is about 1/6 the cost of a 3-Channel Preston FIZ, but a single BFD is only doing 1/3 the job.

A BFD is about 1/2 the cost of a single Channel Preston, and 3 BFDs are about 1/2 the cost of a 3 Channel Preston.

Not sure of the breakdown with BDRs and the Iris slider upgrade to the hand unit, but I imagine you're still in the 50% range, which is still a fantastic deal considering what you get, but it's certainly no 16.6%!!

#7 Quaid Cde Baca

Quaid Cde Baca

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 35 posts
  • Ladera Ranch, CA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

only thing that "may" help would be to calibrate a shorter distance thus giving you the full pull of the hand unit wheel to turn the small lens distance. (good for close focus)

Omnishot Systems

Teradek

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

IDX