• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Dunno if anyone has caught this, but Preston is releasing a new MDR, the MDR3 (not the same as the MDR-3D). Nothing yet on the Preston site, but there's an article in FDTimes.

http://www.fdtimes.c...ePreview150.pdf

A few new features such as analog input for zoom control (a request from steadi ops) and a fourth channel. Higher current throughput to the motors it sounds like, for higher motor speeds and torque. A little less chunky than the MDR2 but the weight isn't significantly less; just denser.

Immediate impression is that the placement of the antenna looks a bit inconvenient.

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for posting this.  Looks very nice.  I've long figured that this would be the next part updated on the Preston since its the oldest and a lot of useful R&D was already done to develop the MDR-3D.  Looking forward to seeing it in person.

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Looks nice. Not a fan of the LED's to show torque or motor direction, they can be a distraction to actors or animals in low light.

#4 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Not a fan of the LED's either, very distracting. I can imagine them being a problem for sure when its sled mounted, as the motor ports are usually pointed toward talent.

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

It's ok guys...I heard the LED's flash a morris code to subliminally coax the actors to tbeir marks

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

It's ok guys...I heard the LED's flash a morris code to subliminally coax the actors to tbeir marks

I thought it sent coded messages to the extras

#7 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Actually it's like the runway landing lights. Blue=proceed closer, green=on the mark, red=too close, pull back!

#8 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Where are the familiar Steadicam bracket mounting holes?

And Ron, Samuel Morse has only been dead for 140 years and you are already mis-spelling his name?

#9 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Looks great. Yeah, I worry about the lack of thread holes but this might be a prototype model. I hope they put a big red button on that reset switch. 

#10 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Ha! You caught me! I suck at many things...spelling is on that long list. I would have spelled it correct 140 yrs ago, back then we cared (and weren't replying to a thread while driving!)

#11 Jarrett P. Morgan

Jarrett P. Morgan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 229 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

An interesting move to smaller connectors. I wonder if the 2-pin power lemo is the Arri pin-out or the Bartech pin-out....

#12 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Lawrence- I took a gander at the MDR3 yesterday at their booth at Cinegear. There are bracket mounting holes, just on one side though, so the lettering is gonna be 'upside-down' when mounted to your sled.

#13 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Lawrence- I took a gander at the MDR3 yesterday at their booth at Cinegear. There are bracket mounting holes, just on one side though, so the lettering is gonna be 'upside-down' when mounted to your sled.

Unless someone makes a U shaped bracket to flip the HU3 when mounted.

#14 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Dave. Saw it for myself and was told PRO and Skipps are making Steadicam ($$) brackets to interface.

#15 Aaron Haesler

Aaron Haesler

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

I received my MDR3 today, the first unit to hit Canada! To answer a couple of your questions:

1) The lights for direction and torque are quite bright, however they turn off about 3 seconds after you finish touching them, this eliminates all issues with bright lights in dark sets and I was happy to see that they weren't on full time.

The green power light and the channel numbers are however on full time. I think I'll be cutting a small square of white electrical tape or something similar for the green power light.

2) The reset button is white, not red, but aside from that, it does everything a reset button is supposed to do.

3) There are in fact mounting holes, two sets. There are four holes on the back opposite the side that says "MDR-3" and also 4 holes on the side, opposite the side with the antenna. I'm looking forward to building some aluminum brackets.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod

Paralinx LLC