2 replies to this topic

#1 George Simpson

George Simpson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hey Everyone, 

First of all i want to just introduce myself. My name is George Simpson and I study Broadcast Operations at Ravensbourne University in London. Some operators may of heard of it. I am in my last year and graduate in June. I have a keen interest in camera stabilised systems and especially steadicams and i am hoping to find a job in that field when i graduate. 

This is the main reason i joined the forum, to gain experience and ask a question regarding training. 

At the end of each academic year we do a degree show, showcasing the talents of all the graduates, whether its broadcasting or fashion. This year, as i was graduating, i wanted to showcase my skills, and i thought the best way to do this was to operate a steadicam for the show. I went to BVE and spoke to Tiffen about possibly hiring us a steadicam and they are all up for loaning us one for the show. However, quiet rightly, they won't let me use one without any training. I have had a lot of use on the merlin, but nothing larger than that. We are hopefully looking into using the Zephyr for the show. 

I am just wondering if anyone can help me with this situation. There aren't any Tiffen workshops from now till the show (June) and, as a student, have very little money to offer anyone for personal training. Would there be anyone who needs an assistant for a job where i can learn the techniques? Or give me a days training, i cant pay a lot, but i will certainly offer a beer and lunch!

I understand i am probably asking a lot, but this line of work is what i want to pursue in the future. So any advice or training would be most welcome! 

Thanks again

#2 brett.mayfield

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 217 posts
  • hotlanta | lost angeles

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

seems like youd want to search online for uk and eu based operators and try to touch base with them directly rather than chancing that theyll see this.

#3 Paul Thomson

Paul Thomson

• Sustaining Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi George,

I'm London based. PM me and I'll see if I can bring you along on a shoot for a crash course (as long as you promise to not be an axe murderer).

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications