#1 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello Everybody,

As promised on a recent discussion on the forums ( http://www.steadicam...ic=17981&page=4 ) about super high mode conversion of Ultra2 rig, I share with you the video of me converting it to super high mode using its 4 stage telescoping post. Camera on the sled is a loaded magazine 435 along with 35mm Zeiss super speed MKIII lens and Arri clip-on matte-box.

The conversion starts at 0:14. In total, going from normal to super high takes about 1 minute 45 seconds. Lens height achieved is 2,25 meters (I’m 1,75 meters tall) with the socket block raised on my Ultra2 vest and 23cm long arm post on my G-70 arm. If I were to put a 3rd battery and/or a dummy weight at the bottom of the sled I could have raised the camera another 15/20 cm using the full extent of the built-in super-post.

The process of conversion is very strait forward. I first extend the telescoping posts fully –just shy of marking lines turning red- below the gimbal thus giving maximum amount of counter balance, then I extend the post located above the gimbal until I got neutral balance and I shorten it to give the rig a slightly bottom heavy balance. I check and correct the static balance using the motorized stage, do a drop test. And done!

Normally I would also adjust the integral tilting stage; you can give me a time penalty of 15 seconds for it. This brings us to 2 minutes of conversion time from start to finish.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!

PS for newbies: the drop time of 4+ seconds in super high mode might seem slow to you but with a sled this long you have huge amounts of inertia acting against the tilt and roll axis. So, a normal drop time of 3 seconds would be too bottom heavy for this kind of setup.

PS for imperial system lovers: suck-it! Metric rules! Pun intended :)

Attached Files

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

wish it was spun on the stand in both lengths

#3 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

my original claim was the conversion time being under 3 minutes. but you are right i could have worked on the dynamic balance. on the next one the rig will be in db. we will see how much time it takes as well as if i can keep the dynamic balance on a non co-planar setup(i doubt it). But i bet it still be well under 10+ minutes.

edited to correct phrasing.

Edited by Evrim KAYA, 22 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

wish it was spun on the stand in both lengths

When he did his first drop test the batteries were trying to pass the monitor, it wasn't in dynamic balance

#5 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

The rig isn't in dynamic balance in neither normal nor the long mode.

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

The rig isn't in dynamic balance in neither normal nor the long mode.

I saw that -- after all the discussion (as well as me painstakingly proving once and for all that "Eric" and "Jerry" do not exist) I assumed the rig would at least be dynamically balanced in the shorter mode so we could see what happened when extended.

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

ok...I did this and posted pics, findings and equations in the "2013 New Rigs - Real World Improvements?" thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ultra2, super-post, balancing, super-high mode, motorized stage, tilt stage

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

IDX

BOXX

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers