Photo

What does it take to get a Decimator fixed...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Fasanella

Kyle Fasanella

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • NYC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

My decimator was working but had some weird greyed output in the image. 

- On march 18 my decimator reached Tecads after I paid to ship it for in warranty repair. 

- I get a response saying they will try to get it done in less than a month... 

- Yesterday, after a month passes I ask how progress is going and they send this. 

"Im sorry to have to give you the bad news, but our contract with Decimator ended and we are no longer fixing the units,you will have to contact them for more information. I will be shipping your unit back tomorrow." 

Living in NYC, Any recommendations? 

#2 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Contact Terry West or David Hable.  Those guys may be able to repair it.

Robert

#3 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

If the unit is still under warranty (3 years) then you should contact either US distributor (symbiosis.eu) or Decimator Design in Sydney.

http://www.decimator.com/CONTACTS/CONTACTS.html

#4 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Did blackmagic put a spell on our units? My decimator also has died out! But Symbiosis agreed to send me a new one right away as the unit was still under warranty.

#5 Kyle Fasanella

Kyle Fasanella

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • NYC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

2 Months later.... 

After paying $42 to ship the decimator unit with my custom protective padded box I found out via tracking that the decimator was delivered. However they DON'T have it at Symbiosis.

As of right now it seems the unit is lost. Although I have 30 days wait while USPS investigates.... 

I paid $55.20 total ( first shipping cost to CA. $13.20 )

....... to lose my half working decimator and custom protective box.

Upsetting is an understatement.

Easily the worst experience trying to get something in warranty repaired .....ever.  

#6 Kyle Fasanella

Kyle Fasanella

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • NYC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have been told they are going to send me a new one.

I am going to miss my custom case I had for it but otherwise this is great news!

#7 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

The folks at symbiosis seem to have a better relationship with the folks in AUS to get units and ship them out.  I got mine back within 2 weeks after they received it. Kudos to them!

#8 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

A little update about my replacement Decimator unit. In total it took over a month to get a replacement unit from Symbiosis. The main reason for the delay was insufficient stocks due to restructuring of the distribution as Symbiosis had just become the US distributor as well as Europe. 

They were very helpful during the process and they made me believe that the delay and stock shortage was a fluke and normally I would have the unit back in much shorter time. They were apologetic about the delay and seemed very sincere about it.

The new unit I received has some minor cosmetic changes from the one i owned before. The paint job has a coarse finish that I liked very much and the BNC connectors are now yellow (possibly gold plated for better conductivity over time). Also my correspondent at Symbiosis told me that Decimator Design updated the power input circuit in order to have better protection from power spikes. 

I personally still think that the Decimator is the best down-converter out-there and Symbiosis's customer service is very good.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Teradek

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

BOXX

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams