Photo

New RED digital motors... 1250$...Shipping this summer.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 281 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi,

Here's the new RED digital motor. Ships (hopefully) in June. 1250$. Here's the info from RED:

- Compatible with the Meizler Module as well as most lens control systems, the RED LENS MOTOR combines a small package with higher torque than the small Heden. 

- 270 Degree rotating connector allows for much easier configuration and mounting. 

- Fits onto a standard 19mm rail (15mm with insert)

- Friction or Geared Interchangeable Gear heads ( left or right )

-$1250 each. Ships this summer. Come see them working in our booth. 

1365448733.jpg

I might grab one or two at that price, if the torque is not enough, I can still use them for iris.

Time will tell.

Anyone tried them at NAB ?

F

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Knowing RED, it will only turn 3 times and only in one direction when it ships. "Compatible" with most lens systems requires purchase of RED 17-pin LEMO connector cable, available for $450 each with preorder discount. $600 after Cinegear. RED users will immediately proclaim the death of Preston, Bartech, Cmotion and "antique, analog follow focus devices like the Arri FF-4".

A heavily delayed firmware update will get it turning in both directions, but somehow cripple the torque to 1/2 the sales specifications. NAB 2015, they announce a new motor, declare all other digital motors as obsolete, and REDUSER hails Jannard as the Messiah.

He drives to Las Vegas in a matte black Porsche with a custom engine built out of the RED digital motors, powered by a $100-bill burning engine. The all new RED Digital - Ultimate Movie Brotherhood (RED DUMB for short) film studio compound with living quarters opens in December, 2015. They announce the first all-RED film to be released July 2016. Unfortunately, April 2016, following the murder of a visiting film critic trying to leave, the RED DUMBstown massacre takes place.

Fuji and Kodak announce a resurgence of motion picture film stock production. 

Hollywood sees record profits from 2017 to 2027. 

#3 Mike Marriage

Mike Marriage

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

William, you forgot to point out what a "game changer" this motor will be. ;)

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Why state the obvious!  :rolleyes:

#5 Michael Hauer

Michael Hauer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

I love how the one thing all steadicam operators can agree on is disdain for Red

#6 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

I love how the one thing all steadicam operators can agree on is disdain for Red

I know Steadicam operators who bought a RED body and kinda hate their predicament.

#7 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Is that a 4K or 5K motor?  3:1, 4:1 5:1?

#8 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

So when does the Red motor pro come out?

#9 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Florida

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Not all. I'm laughing at the jokes all the way to the bank ;)

#10 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

We get it. You're a Red fanboy.

#11 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

Knowing RED, it will only turn 3 times and only in one direction when it ships. "Compatible" with most lens systems requires purchase of RED 17-pin LEMO connector cable, available for $450 each with preorder discount. $600 after Cinegear. RED users will immediately proclaim the death of Preston, Bartech, Cmotion and "antique, analog follow focus devices like the Arri FF-4".

A heavily delayed firmware update will get it turning in both directions, but somehow cripple the torque to 1/2 the sales specifications. NAB 2015, they announce a new motor, declare all other digital motors as obsolete, and REDUSER hails Jannard as the Messiah.

He drives to Las Vegas in a matte black Porsche with a custom engine built out of the RED digital motors, powered by a $100-bill burning engine. The all new RED Digital - Ultimate Movie Brotherhood (RED DUMB for short) film studio compound with living quarters opens in December, 2015. They announce the first all-RED film to be released July 2016. Unfortunately, April 2016, following the murder of a visiting film critic trying to leave, the RED DUMBstown massacre takes place.

Fuji and Kodak announce a resurgence of motion picture film stock production. 

Hollywood sees record profits from 2017 to 2027. 

That is some funny shit!

#12 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Infinitely upgradable?

#13 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Florida

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

We get it. You're a Red fanboy.

You know Alan, you're right. I feel so ashamed now... Maybe you can share your secrets to a successful career, so I can follow your wise footsteps.
Step number one: insult someone. All right, working on that.

#14 Mariano Costa

Mariano Costa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

I don`t know if it was Apple who started this nasty fanboyism dreck, but it`s getting more and more awful, it`s getting common between users of "camera stabilizers", different 3D and compositing software packages or even followers of tutorial websites (!) but the Red fanboys are between the masters of this young "art". There is a hard inner core that defends Red even if they mess up big times and the paranoia Jannard is spreading is imcomparable...

Edited by Mariano Costa, 12 April 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#15 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'm sure there is a whole other forum pointing and laughing at this one right now while people here are pointing and laughing at Reduser/people who own Red Cameras.
For a forum supposedly full of adult professionals there really is a lot of childish behaviour going around lately.

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

SkyDreams

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC