#1 Danny Mackenzie

Danny Mackenzie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hey guys,

I am having a re occuring issue with my G50 arm.  It gets progressively worse as i use it.  It can best be described as when i arm up the LIFT will "pop".  anyone have this problem?

Thanks

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 384 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like a trip back to Tiffen is in order. Seems like it could be something in the ride mechanism. Also would be worthwhile to get the X upgrade while you're at it, and remove some of the design issues the arm had from day one.

#3 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

Hi Danny

You probably need to use the small stainless steel spanner tool supplied to tighten the turret screw under the lift adjust knob.

Robin

#4 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

Guys, constructive comments only please. I remember on the old AOl folder, someone had a problem with their Seitz and the comment was made "buy a Preston." Totaly worthless and snobby. Same applies here.

(And if you don't know what AOL or a Seitz is.....)

#5 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

It's not a malfunction it's just something that happens overtime from changing adjustments on the arm normally, use the little steel spanner that should be in your kit, it looks like a little rectangle with a cutout, tighten the nut under the lift/adjust knob and it should be fine again.

I've got the same arm as you and it does work loose from time to time as I work with a wide range of camera weights so i'm always adjusting the arm to the extremes of each end, as long as you keep an eye on it and remember to tighten it, it shouldn't cause you an issue.

Be careful not to overtighten it though as this will stiffen up the adjustment knobs, tighten it just enough that the creaking/popping sound disappears, then go about another half turn and you should be fine.

#6 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

If after this your issue isn't solved, then it's probably worth speaking to Tiffen, let us all know how you get on.

#7 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

That probably should have read I don't "think" it's a malfunction, as I have experienced what sounds like the exact same issue an that seemed to solve it.

#8 Danny Mackenzie

Danny Mackenzie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Great guys! problem fixed thanks so much for your input.  Saved me crazy headaches!  the information I receive from these forums is invaluable.  With my current crazy production schedule I would have had no time to be able to ship this out for maintenance.  

Such a relief,

Thanks again!

DAN

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Steadicam Operator

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems