• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chris kievman

chris kievman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Im New to Steadicam , but not film or video.

WIth more than 20 years in film and video I have taken up steadicam and love it, I have taken one course in San Francisco, b ut need more and want to get ceritfied.

Anyone know where in Calif I can get some more training.

Thanks, Chris

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum! 

Unfortunately, you just missed the Lake Arrowhead Classic taught by Tiffen. I'm not sure of when the next California workshop will be. Lots of international workshops taught by Tiffen this year, as you can see here: http://www.steadicamworkshops.com/

On the other hand, if you're in California, there are numerous local Steadicam operators who offer private tutorial sessions that can probably give you the equivalent of a 7 day workshop in 2-3 days of one-on-one time. I know Robert Starling offers operating workshops throughout the year, and I think Steve Fracol was offering workshops last summer. Perhaps he's becoming available again soon and willing to do so.

Also, the "certification" is more of a "you've received training from established and knowledgeable operators" thing than a certification. Perhaps if enough people prod GPI PRO, they'll host another workshop? 

EDIT: whoops, also forgot Fletcher taught too! You really can't go wrong! 

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

b ut need more and want to get ceritfied.

Anyone know where in Calif I can get some more training.

No such thing as Certification.  Stabilizerworkshops.com, Fracol, Myself, all teach in California

#4 chris kievman

chris kievman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Great thank you for the info, I did look at the international workshops, but would like to keep it local with all the great talent in CA .

so if anyone of the people mentioned would be willing please email me when your next availability would be I live in San Rafael, but go to LA  often for work.

thanks, Chris

If you know Tim Bellum he is a friend but is to busy..with Californiacation and I already started some training with Gassers SF

#5 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1133 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi Chris,

The soonest weekend class I have an open spot in is late September.  I do have a few weekday spots open.

Reals rigs, real cameras, full accessories, no sales pitch, 2:1 max student to instructor ratio and personalized instruction at your pace so you don't get lost in a class of 16-20 working 3-4 people per rig/vest/instructor.  If you have your own rig that is welcome as well. We also cover the business aspect of the business.

Also, Eric and Steve are both excellent instructors as well and highly recommended.

Good luck!

#6 JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1359 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

That "no sales pitch " is worth so much. Remember that....

#7 Joyce Go

Joyce Go

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • China

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

good luck~~

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems