• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

So, I recently got a Pilot, and as I'm getting used to operating it, I finally figured out why it was putting a lot of strain on my lower back muscles.

I have a somewhat protruding but muscular upper abdomen combined with a sunken chest, which puts the vest center bar and arm mount at a backwards angle when I stand with the rig weight balanced over my center of gravity. Standing so the lower pivot point is perpendicular to the ground and the arm swings freely involves leaning forward, which involves a bit of back strain.

So, is there a kit or something available to make the fore/aft arm mount angle more adjustable than the small amount afforded in the thumbscrews in the mount itself?  I'd like to figure out how to use this thing for longer periods without worrying about muscle exhaustion.

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Jim

It's not just your stomach. You're doing other stuff wrong if your back hurts w a pilot steadicam

Take a workshop or ask a local op to help u.

Second if it really is an issue w vest stick a small rolled up towel in the top of the vest to even out the vest w your stomach

Good luck

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

A pilot and back pain? You're doing it wrong. Go to a workshop or find an experienced operator near you and hire them to teach you the basic. I'm running a 62lbs sled all day and no back pain

#4 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Eric...re-weigh your set up with a prime instead of your normal set up with the 12 to 1, antlers, and dynamic balance calculator. Then it will be a more manageable sub - 55lb sled!

#5 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Sorry Ron I was including the arm in that weight

#6 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hadn't thought about a towel or something similar. Was more just seeing if there we a nifty kit to reorient the arm pivot mount - my back is not normal (minor lordosis) so a prominent belly and receding chest make me a little harder to fit out.

Might fire up my CAD skills and have an angled arm mount made for me at a local machine shop if I can't rig the vest.

#7 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

I second taking the workshop prior to going crazy with cad designs and machine fees. If you can't correct the issue by a position of your pelvis, then only I would consider adding a piece you engineered right in the pivot where the weight of the whole rig sits.

The towel is a nice idea too (I know a few operators that uses extra padding to customize their vest)

#8 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sorry Ron I was including the arm in that weight

I knew it...just scrizewing with ya!

#9 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Jim;

If you do fire up the CAD system and have something made before you find someone to help you you're better off spending the money on lottery tickets.

We're all trying to tell you its the little details not your size or back that are the issue.  This is a crazy device and everyone makes some wrong assumptions right away and with an hour or two of help those mistakes go away.

We're all trying to save you some money and pain.  The Pilot is super simple to master once you get some training.

Good Luck.

Janice

#10 Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just as a followup, a rolled-up T-shirt under the chestpiece made it work much, much better. Now I just need about 1000 hours of practice...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arm, vest

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

IDX

Omnishot Systems

BOXX

GPI Pro Systems