5 replies to this topic

#1 Pascal Combes-Knoke

Pascal Combes-Knoke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 37 posts
  • LA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Trying to replace one my cracked Steadiam PowerCube batteries...

Should I really spend the $500 premium to buy a new PowerCube or am I fine buying this IDX for $329, for example.  Not really sure what the difference is.  http://www.bhphotovi...on_V_Mount.html

I have Flyer LE which can go 24Volts maybe it's better with higher voltage?  As a side question for what cameras do I even need 24 volts?  I've been flying a lot of RED and I've never had had to switch to 24.

#2 Jameson Johnson

Jameson Johnson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 64 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

As I understand it, the PowerCube batteries are for high amp-draw situations; when you have a power hungry HD camera, maybe transmitters, lights, motors, etc. pulling more than 6amps. Those batteries are rated for up to 10 amps or something like that. At the time that Tiffen had IDX produce the PowerCube for them, the HL9 was not available - and possibly that there wasn't a high-draw battery option available in V-Mount. I will probably be corrected on this if I'm wrong. The IDX HL9 (http://www.bhphotovi...on_V_Mount.html) is comparable to the PowerCube - but even Tiffen has told me they aren't in the battery business and you can probably find cheaper alternatives.

The Endura-10s batteries will actually last longer than the PowerCube if you're pulling less than 6 amps. The E-10/E-10s last longer, but won't handle a high draw, over 6 amps.

PowerCube - 88Wh, 6.15Ah - 10amp cont. draw

HL9 - 88Wh, 6.15Ah - 10amp cont. draw, stackable

E-10/s - 93Wh, 6.3Ah

There are, of course, other brands available - but I cannot speak to them as I have no experience with them. I own 4 of the PowerCubes since they came with my Archer2 rig. I'm buying E-10s batts for normal use, and keeping the PC for live TV use when I have a large camera, transmitters, etc. 

My 2 cents, buy the HL9 if you want to keep the same capacity. The HL9 and E-10 can stack, but there aren't a lot of situations when you'd need to stack on a steadi-rig.

As for the 24v cams, I haven't shot with one yet. As I understand, film cameras run on 24v, but I'm in the digital world.

#3 thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1163 posts
  • UK

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Check out Global Media Pro if your on a budget. A few people on this forum really like them.

#4 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 921 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

How badly cracked is it? Does it still work? Why not just repair it?

#5 Grayson Austin

Grayson Austin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

The HL9S is the same battery as the Powercube. Tiffen had exclusive rights for awhile but the IDX version is the same in performance and weight. If you want the same feel you had with the powercubes as far as weight but want to spend less, buy the IDX HL9s. If you want stackable batts, buy the HL9 which are a bit more expensive and weight a bit more than the HL9s. I have been replacing my Powecubes as they become weak with the HL9s batts and the feel of the rig is the same. $349 at B and H.

Grayson Grant Austin, SOC

#6 Pascal Combes-Knoke

Pascal Combes-Knoke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 37 posts
  • LA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Very informative posts thank you guys! Jjust bought 2 HL9s batteries.

Edited by Pascal Combes-Knoke, 21 March 2013 - 02:20 AM.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems