9 replies to this topic

#1 candace coons

candace coons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hi,

Been having issues with my rig for a few weeks, thought it was due to the cold, but turns out its not. So here is my issue; The B&C output is not working from the bottom of the telescope (the monitor works fine, so I know its not that), and lately I've been having to connect directley from the camera to the monior. Has anyone else had this happen,what is it, why is it not working, and if anyone knows where in NYC I could get it fixed (or if I need to send it out).

Thank you,

Candace

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 384 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Candace,

Couple of things - first of all, you should always mention what rig you have in threads like this. Since I'm bored, I looked up your post history, and you appear to have an Archer 2. Most people won't do that work for you though - if you want an answer, you should at least give us enough information to solve it! (EDIT: I did just see that you had it listed in a tag - still better off to put it in the post, since I know I didn't see that until after I posted!)

Also, for the record, it's BNC - Bayonet Nut Connector. No "and" in there.

To answer your question though, the BNC on the base is labeled HDSDI - meaning that it connects to the HDSDI line on top of the rig, not to the "Video" line. The Video line connects directly to the monitor. Unless you put the same signal down both lines, you're only going to get signal out of the connection you put it into.

Hope that helps.

#3 Carl Wiedemann

Carl Wiedemann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Tom,

I've always been under the impression that the origins or the acronym BNC were shrouded in mystery.  My preferred interpretation has been British Naval Connector.  Bayonet-Nut makes sense, however Wikipedia states that it's named after the inventors Paul Neill and the Carl Concelman, thus the Bayonet Neill-Concelman (as opposed to the TNC, the Threaded Neill-Concelman). In any case it's definitely BNC and not B and C.

Edited by Carl Wiedemann, 13 March 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#4 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 384 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Serves me right for not checking Wikipedia before posting that. Could have sworn I had it right! Oh well!

See, you learn something every day here on these forums.

#5 Carl Wiedemann

Carl Wiedemann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Tom,  No doubt you had an instructor that told you, with great authority, that it was a Bayonet Nut Connector.  I've heard the origins of the term BNC debated several times and no one ever mentioned the names of the inventors.

#6 candace coons

candace coons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Thank you all for the responses. The problem started when I was on a job with a A RED one. I had BNC from the camera to the HDSDI on the top stage for my Archer 2. In the middle of the shot the image on my monitor started going in and out. I figured out that the HDSDI out at the bottom of the rig going into my monitor was the problem. So just ran a BNC from the camera to the monitor. I was just wondering if there was place in NYC that i may be able to take a look at it or fix the problem.

Thank you,

Candace

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Chris Konash is in NY, is fantastic an might be able to help. Chris@eastcoastcables.com

#8 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

I was just wondering if there was place in NYC that i may be able to take a look at it or fix the problem.

I am just baffled every time I read a request like that. When you buy a Steadicam product, don't you get an address or a phone number for questions or emergencies or things like that? Am I missing something?

Try:

The Tiffen Company
90 Oser Avenue
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Tel: 631 273 2500
Fax: 631 273 2557
Toll Free: 1 800 645 2522

Email: techsupport@tiffen.com

#9 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1230 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have to say that I have had a lot of issues contacting Tiffen these past weeks. I too ask question on the forum prior to contacting the company. It gives you a sense of how spread the issue is and sometimes how to fix it without sending the rig back. Past that point it is true that before asking a question. I tend to read every available literature.

#10 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

sounds like: too big to fail....If the company does not know your name, you are apparently out of luck... Dealing with companies like Preston, Pro, XCS, Cinetronic, Bartech, Transvideo,... is simple and effective, they know your gear and you...and they understand that you are not a rental house with 5 rigs on the shelf, instant service is why I buy from local, smaller, trusted & tested manufacturers.....downtime get's expensive, fast

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: output, B&C, Archer2

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

IDX

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions