• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ok guys, I recently got my hands on an Ikan MD7. It has 1100 nits and is a pretty sharp little monitor. It was easy to focus with, easy to see. The viewing angle is really wide, something that the Marshall doesnt have. I have always fought with the viewing angle on the Marshall. I was always pretty happy with the Marshall for a lower budget outdoor monitor. But after using the Md7 the Marshall sort of leaves something to be desired. More to come
Here is a video of them side by side on my Rig.

#2 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

http://vimeo.com/60903984

Here's another one

#3 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

The set up was a little funny on the second video. 4 batteries in back 2 InThe front. Go pro on a clamp on top.

#4 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hi Joshua

good test, great to see them like that. I was just thinking at a show I went to a couple of days back its just really difficult to get the reality of whats on paper for LCDs . Thanks for that Joe

#5 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hey Joe, I got the Marshall because it did pretty good in the Great monitor shoot out. But again in the pictures it hard to see what real world results . It's been a pretty good monitor though. There are things like ghosting and bad viewing angles that I don't like, but for the most part it has been a petty good monitor. I don't like the purple anti reflective. coating either.
The MD7 does have more reflections as I think it doesn't have an anti reflective coating. But... That said I can see the focus and judge the exposure in bright sunlight on the Md7 better.

#6 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

HI Joshua, Ive got one of the Marshall 7" HB and its pretty good really Not full HD and no peaking. Then again Ive used the little Panasonic WM SD 7" for well over 10 years and thats been OK too I must have very low standards :)

Did you buy the Ikan or just on test ? Are you doing any other model tests ?

All best Joe

#7 Joshua Gitersonke

Joshua Gitersonke

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hey Joe, for the moment I'm just takin her for a test run. But I like what I'm seeing... In other words I'm seeing what I need to. So its looking good for the Ikan. So far I haven't had that moment where your searching in the sunlight for your frame with a pit in you stomach hoping your not starting a new career as a barber.
Another feature of the Ikan I like is that it has both hdmi and Sdi inputs and converts the hdmi to Sdi. With all the camera possibilities out there it's good to have options. As for more reviews with other monitors I don't have plans to do it now. I will be doing some more with the Ikan though. It's been rainy here in New Orleans so I haven't been able to do anything else yet. This monitor has a couple of user frame lines. Very configurable, Line size, color, placement. More to come when the sun comes out!

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

BOXX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS