Photo

Can you show and new reel to an old dog?

Dp reel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lohengrin Zapiain

Lohengrin Zapiain

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

HI,

I'm always struggling with what would be politically correct and what not in this business. I'm also always figuring out ways to be fresh in the DPs mind without harassing them (you know how that thin that line can be).

I just finished editing my new reel (just took me 3 years!) and I was thinking of showing them to DPs I have already worked for. Do you this this would be weird? lets just say that most of them would see some of their own shots in it. what are you experiences on this matter?

thanks in advance

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Lohengrin;

Why not turn it around by sending the DPs who are in the reel and "asking" their permission. In the same way as starting a dialogue with them you end up showing them your new reel.

You could also credit them in the shots or at the end of the reel and they'll get the exposure too which will make them happy.

Just a hint, don't be too worried about bothering people to get yourself promoted. Lots of others just do it and forget about it. If you're too cautious you'll soon miss out on jobs. Some of the most successful people are just plain singleminded about getting work and they don't care about political. (you are right though you can't call them up every week though, it does scream you're not working if you call too much and we all know no one wants to hired someone who isn't working.)

Lastly, when you buy new stuff or are just back from a project, use it as an excuse to talk to DPs about your new stuff. A convenient way to update and promote your marketing outlets.

Janice

#3 Lohengrin Zapiain

Lohengrin Zapiain

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Lohengrin;

Why not turn it around by sending the DPs who are in the reel and "asking" their permission. In the same way as starting a dialogue with them you end up showing them your new reel.

Hey Janice,

actually it sounds like a brilliant idea, I'll use this excuse to get in touch with some of the DPs on my reel.

that's why you guys (and girls) rock at the workshops :)

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

PLC Electronics Solutions

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS