11 replies to this topic

#1 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

does one gently push the rig out to make more room between the subject and yourself... kind of like another person stepping in-between.

#2 David M. Aronson

David M. Aronson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 299 posts
  • Arlington, VA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'd probably push the rig out more so that in case I get shoved, I have the weight forward so I won't fall and have the camera fall on me. It does create something to grab onto. If I was in a situation with a lot of people in a really tight area, I'd probably rig up the holy crap strap just to be safe, even if the risk is very low of me getting in a fight, If a fire broke out and I needed to haul ass away from where I was, I'd ditch the rig.

#3 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'd just rely on my martial arts training and apply the art of SU YU.

Most of the form involves going limp, taking hits and reaching for my cell phone to call my attorney.

#4 JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1359 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I use lisagav, so the wont bother me, but slide away

#5 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I would love to have Lil Wayne throw a punch at me in a stadium full of cameras.

#6 John Stout

John Stout

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 119 posts
  • Jacksonville, FL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I believe the industry term you are looking for is "Oprah Rich"

#7 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Warren Moon! Yes...

#8 Ken Nguyen

Ken Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 239 posts
  • California & Viet Nam

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Step back on your left leg, put the sled on your shoulder (resting position), the weight is on your left leg, using the battery hanger as a shield and as a weapon. This is like the undercut hit.
Then, step your right leg up in a pivoting movement,
the arm elbow will be your weapon to attack to the chest of the opponent.

I say, stay and use your rig as a shield and a weapon. Your best chance to survive.
If you run, you sustain heavy loss.

If the guy is a celebrity, take one hit from him first, then retaliate. After that, collect the compensation for your wound.

Ken Nguyen.

#9 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Let’s look at this a bit more closely. The operator is “on air” holding his two shot. LW, not aware of this, tries to cross in front of the lens. The operator sees someone coming in his peripheral vision and holds up his arm to keep him back. LW doesn’t understand why, keeps trying to cross the shot. The operator is still on air, still trying to hold the shot, and still trying to keep LW out of it. LW keeps pushing, the shot starts to wobble, the director reminds the op that he’s on air – the director doesn’t know what’s going on either. Eventually the camera bumps someone else and pans to LW, and the director, now clued in, cuts away to the other camera.

Then it escalates, with LW demanding an apology, which the operator gives to him repeatedly, but it’s not enough for LW… but it’s still just some words flying around.

It seems to me like the op did exactly the right thing – he was focused on his job and tried to hold the shot. When that failed, he tried not to escalate a situation borne of ignorance, and he was successful.

A friend reminds me that it is our job to always be professional, courteous, selfless, and not draw attention to ourselves in any manner.

#10 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Lucky it wasn't Big Wayne.

#11 Jota Parro

Jota Parro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Even when I was a celebrity, I would not create problems to an Steadicam operator!! xDD

#12 Gregory Dillard

Gregory Dillard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Look at it from my point, and Alfeo I'm sure you just may agree. Would Lil Wayne do that if let's say the op was a 6 foot or more black male? Better yet, would he have done the same thing if it were a 6 foot + white male? I'll answer it for you no. This guy is literally 5'3 and has the misconception that what he sings in his songs makes him 6 foot or more. I applaud Jerry for being very professional, but this reminds me of PETA when they throw paint/blood on someone wearing fur. They wouldn't throw it on 50 cent would they?
It's downright insulting that no one in Wayne's camp has the audacity to tell him that he was wrong and out of line. We simply call those folks losers because they don't have the balls to stand up and be men. I would love to think that I'd be very professional in a similar situation, but it all depends. You act accordingly and always show respect.

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications