Alex Kolb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Midwest USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hello all,

I just had a local machinist make up a set of new camera numbering cards, and it got me thinking that there has to be a better way to mount it than I'm doing it.

Back when I used notecards and black electrical tape, I would put a loop of tape, sticky side out, around my center post. I'd stick the card on just above the gimbal, and it worked fine. Still, it was rather low, and the talent couldn't always see it.

I would put them right over the lens, but that would block my ambi mic and the tally, so I'm having a hard time thinking where to out it. While I'd love to buy a 2-digit tally/number setup, I can't invest $1k in a tally just now.

Where do all you TV guys put your numbers?

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Al

Edited by Alex Kolb, 29 January 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

I use the AutoScript TallyPlus single digit number for studio shows:
http://www.bhphotovi...uct/443227-REG/

For Live Events and concerts, production usually prefers to hide my tally so the audience won't flock to the red light. But in the case of the TallyPlus, you just don't plug in the sensor.

For mounting, I made custom brackets to hold it above the lens, above the prompter. If I have to use a shotgun mic as well, I mount that below the lens off the dovetail. As you can see in my photo gallery, the forward weight causes the camera plate to be offset to the rear and leaves room for a short shotgun.

http://mikegermond.c...ex.php/prompter

#3 Dan Erbeck

Dan Erbeck

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 63 posts
  • Northern New Jersey

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I don't think there's a need for a number on the front for the talent unless there's more than 1 Steadi on a show. Usually the director or producer will just say find the Steadi or were doing it on the Steadi. That's at least been my experiences.

#4 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I agree with Dan, except for studio shows. That's really the only venue where multiple cameras are in such close quarters that talent benefit from differentiating numbers.

#5 Alex Kolb

Alex Kolb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Midwest USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Much appreciated, guys!

Anything outside the studio I don't number, unless occasionally if we're working with a musician or speaker who's never done TV shows before (they react better to numbers than "steadicam", since some of them only see the steadi for the first time on the shows).

Mike, those photos are really helpful, thanks! That tally/digit thing made my list for my next purchase for sure. No matter how I do the number and tally, though, moving my mic down off the camera will be really helpful.

Thanks again guys, and happy flying.

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Omnishot Systems