3 replies to this topic

#1 Eduardo Chacon

Eduardo Chacon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hi all,
this coming week I will be getting a Merlin + a Nikon D800 and was wondering if there is anyone out there with the same combo.
If so, can someone please tell me what are the settings for the rig with a 20mm 2.8 and a 35mm 2.0?

Thanks in advance,

#2 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hi, this forum is more about the big rigs. You might have a better chance over at http://www.dvxuser.com for this. Otherwise, you don't need to get the settings from someone, you can find them yourself, by balancing the rig and trials and errors.

#3 Eduardo Chacon

Eduardo Chacon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Lazaro,
I will try that.

#4 Elliot Gabor

Elliot Gabor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hi Victor, I would agree with you that this forum is more about big rigs, however, I would be careful not to turn away newbie operators and people wanting to find out more information about the merlin and rigs like it. I think there is a lot they can learn about proper balance from this forum rather than getting frustrated when their merlin cookbook isn't giving them proper results. A lot of 1st time operators that start with the merlin get it balanced properly and they don't even know it's properly balanced because they don't know what it's supposed to feel like. As i'm sure you know, the first time balancing a rig can be one of the most frustrating times for an operator and could mean a short-lived steadicam career. From my experiences, the best steadicam operators start off on rigs with very little inertia...it teaches very precise and gentle operation.

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems