6 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Do any of you know if you can somehow convert an Allen bolt with some sort of cap you can put on the head so you can use your fingers instead of requiring an Allen key? Have been scouring the web but either I'm lame at searching online or it's a product I fabricated in my mind.

Dan

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 384 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Here you go: http://www.mcmaster....w-heads/=l6iek4

#3 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Some bolts are also suitable to be replaced by kip handles

#4 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Outstanding. Thanks for the link!

#5 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Darn!
To late... I have a box of those in the weirdest shapes, sizes and colors... oh well... off to the trash they go...

#6 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I used to have a box of 100 + / - of the Press Fit knobs. They are available in all manner of size/ shape. A few cautionary notes:

When pressing them in, you will need a mallet not a hammer. They should be resting knob facing up and socket head resting down against the center circular spud molded into the knob. Using a flat wooden surface instead of a metal one does reduce the potential for shattering the knob.

You'll waste one or two fine-tuning your strike force so you can accomplish the real goal: A very centered vertically mounted bolt with knob. It is possible due to the design of the press-fit knobs to press it into place using a mallet and have it not be dead vertical. This could be annoying, or it could be a dealbreaker.

Shattering a knob or having a bolt be seated not vertical is a small loss for the knob. One must take some serious effort, however, to remove the plastic spud that has been pressed into the hexagonal Allen Wrench hole at the top of the socket head cap screw. I used to use a small Dremel boring bit to crack the pieces out without damaging the integrity of the socket head hold.

My two cents.

Best to all,

Peter Abraham, S.O.C.

#7 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

I used to have a box of 100 + / - of the Press Fit knobs. They are available in all manner of size/ shape. A few cautionary notes:

When pressing them in, you will need a mallet not a hammer. They should be resting knob facing up and socket head resting down against the center circular spud molded into the knob. Using a flat wooden surface instead of a metal one does reduce the potential for shattering the knob.

You'll waste one or two fine-tuning your strike force so you can accomplish the real goal: A very centered vertically mounted bolt with knob. It is possible due to the design of the press-fit knobs to press it into place using a mallet and have it not be dead vertical. This could be annoying, or it could be a dealbreaker.

Or you could do it the proper way with either a Bench Vise or a C-Clamp and actually PRESS fit them

Striking them with a hammer or mallet is both ill advised and silly when you can do it correctly so easily with a c-clamp or bench vise

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

IDX

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX