4 replies to this topic

#1 Twojay Dhillon

Twojay Dhillon

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 181 posts
  • Santa Monica, CA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I just picked these up recently and I think I may have finally found the perfect knee and shin protection for use during Steadicam Operating.

They are extremely lightweight, fit very snug and the impact absorption is provided by a newer material that stiffens upon impact. MotoGP and other such sports have been experimenting with this technology for their racesuits for a while now to protect their riders during get-offs of the bikes.

Other kneepads made me feel like I was getting ready to either garden or construct a building, and the only time I used shin protection I felt like I was playing cricket.

These have a near-naked feel:

Kneepads: http://g-form.com/products/knee-pad/

Shinpads: http://g-form.com/products/shin-pads/

And here is their YouTube channel, where they have many videos showing their products and the protective material being tested under a variety of conditions: http://www.youtube.com/user/GFormLLC

At $100 USD for a complete set, I see it as a great price for protection while maintaning range of motion and they are also extremely light. Check 'em out at many bicycle stores, especially ones that cater to the downhill/Xtreme category.

#2 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 345 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I've been using ProTec knee guards when I feel like a shot needs it.

Like recently in a skatepark where the floor to wall transitions were extremely slippery and hard to distinguish. They are a bit more bulky, using a hard outer shell over the knee cap area, and full leg wrap padding. A good test of any knee protection, if you dare, is to just stand and drop to your knees on a hard surface. And I mean drop, because the added weight of your rig will really accelerate the slam. With the ProTec's, I can hardly feel the impact because of that hard outer in front of the padding. Nice to know if I get tripped up, that I can not only walk away that day, but continue on with the next shot.Fly safe

#3 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 645 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

What's Cricket?

JK, Cool looking pads!

#4 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

What's Cricket?

Pretty sure she's one of Ron's friends.

#5 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I use my old knee pads that came with my wife's roller skates, remember those? But barley use them. Usually if the shot calls for a very low start or finish were I end up on one knee, but then only use one. After a short while you start to sweat and then they scuff... so no thank you.

If you wear them to safe yourself... that's what the rig is for. If you try to safe the rig you will pull something and hurt yourself seriously... burry it into the ground and call the insurance company. The Hospital route will be more expensive and take you longer to recover...

Shin guards... then nobody will see my scars, scraps and holes that I amassed over the years... ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Fly safe,

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Camera Motion Research

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems