2 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:06 PM

So I'm watching This Old House the other night (American home improvement show for those outside the US) and they're doing a tour of a decked-out home entertainment system. In with all the Plasma screens and multi-function remotes they breeze past a "wireless TV." And when I say wireless I mean COMPLETELY wireless. There was no power cord, so video cable, no antenna, nothing. It looked like a standard Sharp 13" LCD on its stand but I didn't notice any special box or any similar thing stuck to the back.

My assumption is that they're using some form of wireless internet downstreaming with MPEG compression of some sort, but who knows? Perhaps the unit was powered by batteries, but that would seem a bit disingenous to what the guy on TV was saying.

There's no way I could really see the image quality, but it seemed like a nice picture. So how wonderful would this be as a wireless transmitter system for Steadicam or tap monitoring in general? Anyone know anything about it?

#2 Ari Gertler

Ari Gertler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 113 posts
  • Santa Monica, California USA

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

It may be one of the new Sony "Location Free" TV's. 12" and a 7"..

Cut and paste:
WEB SITE: http://www.sonystyle...Vs&Dept=tvvideo

Ari Gertler

#3 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:18 AM

My assumption is that they're using some form of wireless internet downstreaming with MPEG compression of some sort, but who knows?  Perhaps the unit was powered by batteries, but that would seem a bit disingenous to what the guy on TV was saying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MPEG compression via Wifi, will most certainly be the next generation of wireless video. I know of some folks that are working on this technology, the problem is, delay, so if sound monitoring can be delayed at the same speed, this just might work, in most circumstances. Its pretty cool stuff, and will be great when perfected. Imagine perfect wireless video.... wow

Jeff

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS