OpTex Workshop 18th-20th May

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 syntax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:29 PM

Hi there, Id like to introduce myself as an aspiring Steadicam Operator, something I have wanted to do for many years. My longterm goal is to definitley look at a Steadicam career, it something that excites me and would very much like to break into. Step 1 is very much 'Do the workshop', but I am at a lost at what Step 2 is.

Firstly, I will be attending the OpTex Steadicam Workshop on the 18th to 20th May and would like to know if there is anyone here who will be attending that workshop too. Also, for those that have already taken it in recent years, can you tell me what I should expect to have achieved from the course and what the general level of expertise is of those that use the course.

Secondly, I would invite anyone to give me any tips on furthering my skills after the course. I have read here about others operators paths, and it seems many of you were established cameramen before taking the leap to Steadicam operation. At 23, I am only starting out in the broadcasting industry but have already built up a solid foundation of cinematography and camera skills.

I would be interested to know if I would be able to get hands on experience on a production, even if it was before or after a recording (i.e. at a sports event, a tv magazine show or film shoot). I don't see it possible to come out of a workshop expected to splash upwards of £5000 on a rig and for people to start hiring you the next week. Therefore, I would ask what were your first 'gigs' and how did you kickstart your career?

I am prepared for the investment, but liken it to owning a Formula 1 racing car (rig) and knowing only how it works (workshop), its difficult for me to drive it (job) unless I can get in some practice laps (experience).

There is more information about my work on my website and I would appreciate a read over my cv which will give you an idea of what I have already achieved.

On a side note, are there any scottish steadicam operators here?

#2 Jason Cuddy

Jason Cuddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Dunblane, Scotland.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

Just like to point out it was me who posted the above, at the time I didn?t realise the real names policy (which I like!) and underestimated the wealth of knowledge and experience of those on the forum. Even though my post was not answered, I have been reading the threads and most of my questions have been answered over time.

I met Mikko Wilson, who by sheer coincidence happened to be staying 'just down the road' here in Scotland over the past few months, and he has since taken me under his wing.

The Optex Workshop in May 2005 was really fantastic and so were the people I met. I felt like the outsider a bit as I was the only person to be leaving the 3 days NOT to be going back to a rig waiting at home or in the studio. However the three days taught me a lot, and I enjoyed learning to use the equipment. Some operators I spoke to have told me that I should gain more professional production experience (I am 23) first with camera operating and I completely agree - the Steadicam operation I would like to build upon in tandem with the skills I gain.

I know operators are understandably hesitant about newbie?s for their ignorance and lack of respect for the profession, and I don?t want to step on anyone?s toes as I am keen to continue my dream of becoming an operator. I am taking things slow and am looking to purchase a flyer for both my own forthcoming projects and hopefully to kick off my career.

With that in mind I would be very grateful to anyone who can offer tips on purchasing my rig and how to gain those first few studenty/low paid gigs.

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems