3 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot Gabor

Elliot Gabor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Using a Pilot on a feature in Novemeber. Trying to keep costs down so the producer was asking about being tethered for a director and AC feed (could just be one shared BNC) I know in the broadcast world I've seen steadicam ops fly tethered but is this something that I should even attempt on such a low weight rig?

Any tips on this type of flying, alternative solutions, or cheap wireless transmitters that would be useful to a focus puller (under $500) would be much appreciated!

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

You can attempt it on a lightweight rig, but understand the inertia of the overall mass of the sled helps fight the tether BNC and reduces the influence. Lighter rigs = less mass = less inertia = more easily influenced by smaller forces, like the BNC tether.

That being said, I'd look into getting some spaghetti thin/light BNC cables made as jumpers. Run those thin cables from camera to gimbal arm, and connect it to your video village BNC. Practice with the tether cable so you understand what the cable does to your operating.

I don't think you'll find any transmitters for that price to purchase that will satisfy village and your AC for pulling focus. If you mean $500 for rental, there are a few options.

#3 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1230 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Look into a Paralynx Arrow. It is dead cheap and easy to use.

#4 Elliot Gabor

Elliot Gabor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thank you for the advice.

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems