#1 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

I had a very bad day yesterday!!

I’m currently working on a war movie. We`re on location which is far far away from civilization. Yesterday, when my turn is up, I took the camera from the AC and did my balance. I controlled remote focus, wireless transmitter, arm strength, monitor and yelled `steadi is ready to shoot`. They told me the talent isn`t ready yet, so I powered the rig down. After a while later the talent arrives, the AD calls my name, so I powered the rig back up. SUPRISE SUPRISE!!!! My trusted Ultrabrite2 isn`t working! The monitor is on, I have the green power led lid but no image on the screen! When I turned the monitor towards the sun I see a shadow of a image so I understood that the backlight is dead!! İ shot the scene with my 3inch screen archos (this is what you get if you keep insisting about getting a smaller image. God loves the irony).

At the hotel I opened up the monitor hoping to find a loose jumper, no such luck. (by the way UB2 is really hard to open with billions of screws and layers)

I sent the monitor to Istanbul today morning to my electronics guy. Hopefully he will find a quick fix to my problem. He told me something like a AC/DC converter or a inverter might be broken. And apparently this is a good scenario. The alternative is the led panels being broken which will be a real pain in the aft!

Do any of you guys had a backlight problem with your monitor? İs there a way to fix it without sending it to the Tiffen? I don’t know much about electronics so any help would be appreciated. For now I’m stuck to operate of a mini screen and very dim archos recorder and I still have 3 more weeks to work here!

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Sorry you had a major issue, and glad you made it through....but...I hate to state the obvious, and I know it can be expensive (however, cheap insurance to save your rep) but buy a back up monitor! There are MANY out there for under $3k that will do well and get you by until your primary returns repaired. Especially when shooting so far from civilization.

10 to 15 yrs ago there was really no other option other than a green screen that would break the piggy bank, today there are so many options one's mind is boggled. I cannot believe how many ops I run into these days without spares...and today spares are so cheap!

#3 Evrim KAYA

Evrim KAYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Sorry you had a major issue, and glad you made it through....but...I hate to state the obvious, and I know it can be expensive (however, cheap insurance to save your rep) but buy a back up monitor! There are MANY out there for under $3k that will do well and get you by until your primary returns repaired. Especially when shooting so far from civilization.

10 to 15 yrs ago there was really no other option other than a green screen that would break the piggy bank, today there are so many options one's mind is boggled. I cannot believe how many ops I run into these days without spares...and today spares are so cheap!

you are 100 percent right Ron! getting a backup monitor was my first priority even before this nightmare! the problem is i just bought my rig and i am under very heavy burden of paying up my loans so i guess i postponed the backup monitor untill i was a little more comfortable financially! i now see that this was a bad idea! luckyly a friend just shipped me an old SD transvideo cine3a to help me out.

#4 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

those cine monitors are great to have as a backup. Small downconverter and your set. You can pick them up cheap on ebay or here for around 700 us

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

IDX