2 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Carter

Richard Carter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hello folks,

I just acquired a gently used Steadicam Merlin and vest system :-). This setup included two gimbal handles and they appear to exactly the same to me. Is there a particular "tell" that would let me know which one is the metal gimbal - then again, they could both be the standard handles or both metal ones. The previous owner didnt have an answer for me so hopefully one the the seasoned pros here can educate me?

Thanks!

Rich

#2 James Elias

James Elias

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

The original Merlin (with Garrett's signature on the side) came with plastic rings inside the gimbal. These were stopped in 2008-ish when the signature edition was stopped. If it doesn't have Garrett's signature on the Merlin, it's probably metal. It's obvious when you look inside - the black ring is either plastic or metal with ball bearings.

James

#3 Richard Carter

Richard Carter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

The original Merlin (with Garrett's signature on the side) came with plastic rings inside the gimbal. These were stopped in 2008-ish when the signature edition was stopped. If it doesn't have Garrett's signature on the Merlin, it's probably metal. It's obvious when you look inside - the black ring is either plastic or metal with ball bearings.

James

Thanks James, for the your Insight into this. I don't have the signature edition, and the post coming out if the handle that flares into a a partial sphere does look like it's metal.

Thanks again!

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

IDX

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech