12 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts
  • Adrenochrome, New Zealand

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

I have been toying with this idea for a while now but finally got around to putting together a prototype for proof of concept. I do a lot of broadcast work with wireless cameras so I have built a transmitter system that can be attached to the top of the sled/camera with a photocell sensor for the camera. When the camera tally light is on it wirelessly transmits a signal to a reciever that can be placed anywhere around the base of your sled or monitor with leds to indicate tally.

I intend to test it out fully this weekend but thought I'd share the results and a few pics once I've put it through it's paces but all initial tests seem to be positive.

If I remember rightly there was a fellow op on here that was building something similar a few years back but he seems to have dissappeared along with his system so I thought I'd give it a go myself. I know there are some relatively low cost options out there and this cost a little more to build but I really wasn't keen on having to run a cable down the outside of my rig if I could avoid it.

Cheers,

Martin

#2 Thomas K. Jensen

Thomas K. Jensen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 150 posts
  • Denmark, Europe

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm interested.

#3 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

Here is a little video of the prototype. See if you can spot my deliberate mistake while demonstrating this. :blink:
Video Demo

#4 Mohamad Faiz

Mohamad Faiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Singapore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Nice work dude.... I'll be in line if you have it up and running.... But the powering of the receiver.... Saw u power it up using a 5 pin lemo.... Is it posible to run power via d tap or another 9 volt battery system??? Btw love the way u forgot to plug ur battery on to your sled system.... :)

#5 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Is it posible to run power via d tap or another 9 volt battery system??? :)

The receiver is native 12-18volts. I powered it from the 12volt output on my sled just because I had a spare cable laying around. I think if I made these up as a kit I would probably just throw a 4 pin xlr socket on it so you can use anything that you want to feed the 12volts into it. I could make it with a lemo socket but that wouldincrease the cost considerably.

#6 Mohamad Faiz

Mohamad Faiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Singapore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

Yup great idea.... A d tap or xlr is best solution.... Both are cheap and relatively easily available how about transmitter only 9v option ???

#7 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

how about transmitter only 9v option ???

At this stage it is a 9 volt battery for the photocell relay but the transmitter is running on a A23 12volt battey internally as I built a lot of it from off the shelf parts to an extent but I am looking to integrate the power for the transmitter and the photocell together which will be 12volt. This version is really just a proof of concept and so far I am happy. I tested the transmitter to about 150' so that was a small bonus as it could be setup in a studio etc. when you have no return telemetry on the camera by connecting to the vision desk telemetry directly.

#8 Mohamad Faiz

Mohamad Faiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Singapore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

Nice job... I am in the queue line 1nce it is for sale..... :)

#9 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

Well I've got a full day outdoor OB on the weekend so am going to put it through its paces then. Will let you know how it all turned out.

#10 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Put the system through its paces on Saturday and it worked flawlessly all day. The only issue I had was the
sensitivity of the photocell wasn't quite right but I adjusted that at the start of the day during camera checks and was fine for the rest of the day.

#11 Mohamad Faiz

Mohamad Faiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Singapore

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Well it worked... Can i place my order now??? Lol....

#12 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

Si I guess I need to start work on the final configuration then

Attached Files

#13 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Ok, so this has taken a bit longer than I hoped but I got rather busy in the months leading up to and including Xmas but I've finally managed to put a 12v version together and am about to Beta test it this weekend. If all goes well then all of those that have contacted me about buying one, I will hopefully have some good news for you.

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

SkyDreams

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

BOXX

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions