Tiffen Ultra1 HDSDI
Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:15 PM
Owners have replaced the 7pin lemo that was used for the component cables and installed a true HDSDI BNC connector in its place?
Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:32 PM
Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:17 PM
Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:44 PM
I had to almost completely disassemble the topstage, and the post sections.
I used Belden 9221. It can be done.
Sorry for the short reply.
I'll try to post more later or email me.
I attached some pictures.
Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:09 PM
Great photos and a great solution to upgrade your rig!
Did you unwrap and wrap the new cable into the existing coiled harness or run it as an independent run?
Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:48 PM
Earlier this year, I did the same. Running the cable was pretty simple, just zip tied it to the original harness, which was never taken completely out.
I also gutted the rig, took out all the electronics and Terry West replaced it with a small box in front of the post with all necessary connectors. It looks more like blocky Ultra 2 on the bottom now.
Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:07 PM
Great job James
hope to hang with you soon
Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:30 AM
Maybe useful for any Archer 1 owners to know, not sure I see any reason why you can't probably do the same with your Ultra 1 also as the connection looks the same as on my Archer 1 did and I imagine the cable is at least the same spec or better than what's in the Archer 1, then you could have two HD-SDI connections if you wanted it.
Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:32 AM
So it seems to work well, for anyone else that was thinking of doing it, or thinking it might be a good idea?
Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:42 AM
I guess you just wanted to get away from that expensive pigtail and not have to worry about MUCH cheaper HDSDI BNC cables...
BTW... Brian, you must have had the prototype rig I use to use which had no HD connectors at all. I was told that it would be too much of a hassle. Glad you boys figured out a great mod to keep those rigs alive!
Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:49 AM
Although the 7pin Lemo was capable of feeding a HD signal to the monitor, the signal was not strong enough for my nanoflash.
The nanoflash would lose source after about 40 seconds.
Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:55 AM
I coiled the Belden 9221 around the existing coil leaving intact the 50+ tie wraps and adding 30+ more.
I found the coiled cable was the hardest part of the modification because of the possibility of the cable getting crimped in between post sections.