11 replies to this topic

#1 James Baldanza SOC

James Baldanza SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'm wondering if any Ultra1
Owners have replaced the 7pin lemo that was used for the component cables and installed a true HDSDI BNC connector in its place?

Thanks.

James Baldanza

#2 Chris Allen

Chris Allen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Not a bad idea...is there room in the internal harness for a thicker cable? I imagine there could be. i'd like to do the same with the two rigs we have in our studios.

Chris

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I had this discussion with Tiffen when we were building the Phantom•V and I was told there isn't enough room for that size cable in the post and the connector is very week.

#4 James Baldanza SOC

James Baldanza SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

With the help of another operator, I was able to add a HDSDI line to my Ultra1.
I had to almost completely disassemble the topstage, and the post sections.
I used Belden 9221. It can be done.
Sorry for the short reply.
I'll try to post more later or email me.
I attached some pictures.

Attached Files

#5 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Congrats James!

Great photos and a great solution to upgrade your rig!

Did you unwrap and wrap the new cable into the existing coiled harness or run it as an independent run?

Robert

#6 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

I think I missed this topic because of the component lemo mention, a connector my prototype Ultra does not have.

Earlier this year, I did the same. Running the cable was pretty simple, just zip tied it to the original harness, which was never taken completely out.

I also gutted the rig, took out all the electronics and Terry West replaced it with a small box in front of the post with all necessary connectors. It looks more like blocky Ultra 2 on the bottom now.

#7 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Ok I misread the post, disregard my response LOL . . . . I thought it said HDMI
never mind,

Great job James

hope to hang with you soon

#8 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I had optical support do the same thing with the 7 pin Lemo connector for HD video on the topstage/junction box in my archer one, they simply swapped out the female Lemo connection and replaced it with a HD grade BNC connector, they used the existing cable in the centre post and for quite a while now i've had a good quality HD signal running through my post to a HD Swit monitor at the bottom, with no issues.

Maybe useful for any Archer 1 owners to know, not sure I see any reason why you can't probably do the same with your Ultra 1 also as the connection looks the same as on my Archer 1 did and I imagine the cable is at least the same spec or better than what's in the Archer 1, then you could have two HD-SDI connections if you wanted it.

#9 James Davis

James Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 638 posts
  • London

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

I can still run composite etc with no issues either, thinking back there have been instances where I have run both composite and HD down the post at the same time, with lots of wireless devices attached to me/the rig and had no interference issues or anything like that.

So it seems to work well, for anyone else that was thinking of doing it, or thinking it might be a good idea?

#10 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hey guys, am I missing something here?!?! If you have the HD Component connector with the 7pin Lemo, couldn't you just use a HDSDI to LEMO pigtail?

I guess you just wanted to get away from that expensive pigtail and not have to worry about MUCH cheaper HDSDI BNC cables...

BTW... Brian, you must have had the prototype rig I use to use which had no HD connectors at all. I was told that it would be too much of a hassle. Glad you boys figured out a great mod to keep those rigs alive!

#11 James Baldanza SOC

James Baldanza SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Alfeo,

Although the 7pin Lemo was capable of feeding a HD signal to the monitor, the signal was not strong enough for my nanoflash.
The nanoflash would lose source after about 40 seconds.

Thanks.
James

#12 James Baldanza SOC

James Baldanza SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hey Robert,
Thanks!

I coiled the Belden 9221 around the existing coil leaving intact the 50+ tie wraps and adding 30+ more.
I found the coiled cable was the hardest part of the modification because of the possibility of the cable getting crimped in between post sections.

Thanks Again.
James

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

Teradek

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech