Upgrade PRO II to HD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Jones

Christopher Jones

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Has anyone successfully upgraded a PRO II sled to HD without the very pricey PRO upgrades? Seems the upgrading price through PRO is almost as much as a new HD sled. I have heard of a few unsuccessful upgrades but don't no anyone firsthand. Any advice is much appreciated.

Chris Jones

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

Christopher: I'll admit that I attempted an HD upgrade last summer before shelling out the cash for the HD Upper, HD lower junction boxes and HD centerpost. I'd feel embarrassed to say just how far I went to attempt it, feel free to ask privately... but I will say this: I learned the inside and out of the PRO2 sled VERY well, and if you have the bayonet "quick release" PRO2 sled, then you're going to have to do the HD upgrade through them.

Assuming you have the quick-release style, if you wanted to do your own upgrade, you'd have to:
- Rewire the upper and lower junction boxes with the 19-pin (?) LEMO cable
- buy a new centerpost cable from PRO or XCS.
- Change out the centerpost cable in your centerpost (might not be wide enough inside to comfortably fit the new cable)

The rewiring is so daunting, I just decided the costs to rewire everything would probably cost as much as doing the HD upgrade, if not more considering potential for failure.

I've tried. It's not worth it.

#3 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Some interesting info here as well:

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1144 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

I havent tried it on a pro sled but on my non pro sled I was able to tape a thin bnc to the coily cable and solder it to the bncs in my upper and lower junction boxes. In mine I have a single bnc junction near the top for dissasembly. Might make taking things apart tricky but its cheap because you dont have to replace the coily cable or lemos.

#5 Christopher Jones

Christopher Jones

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback and links to other threads. I followed Fabrizio's link and got hooked up with Hable and his crampedattic.com. He is going to do exactly what I was hoping for and for what seems to be a very reasonable price. I'll let you know how it goes.

#6 Jay Kim

Jay Kim

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 76 posts
  • New York

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

I got my Pro2/XCS hybrid sled upgraded to HD-SDI by David Hable at Cramped Attic and he did an excellent job!

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

PLC Electronics Solutions